Under general supervision of the Supervising Electrician, works independently to perform the full range of skilled journey-level electrical work including the installation, maintenance, modification, and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment, and systems. Inspect, isolate, troubleshoot and repair electrical malfunctions. Plan the layout and perform wiring of new or remodeled installations. Operate electrical power-generating plants and other electrical equipment and systems. Maintain and repair low voltage systems including fire, alarm, and access systems. Test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency. Fabricate electrical parts. Inspect completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements, and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations.
The Electrical unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across nine sites comprised of +150 acres, 81 buildings, and more than seven million gross square feet. Maintenance & Operations employs approximately 250 full-time permanent staff and up to an additional nine part-time, seasonal, or contract staff. In FY20-21, the assigned operating budget for the unit is $49 million not including funds associated with purchased utilities or maintenance and repair projects.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Performs various types of preventive maintenance including: starting/stopping equipment, general cleaning, removing/installing serviceable parts, cleaning conductors/wire connections, and identifying problems and needed repairs.
- Completes necessary repairs to electrical wiring, plugs, switches, breaker boxes, controls, lighting and electrical related items, as requested, by work orders.
- Operates hand and power tools for installing, removing, and cleaning parts and hardware.
- Inspects electrical-related equipment, systems and areas to identify problems and needed repairs.
- Tests and troubleshoots parts, equipment and systems using testing tools for diagnosis.
- Records work details in log sheets and keeps time record to assists in completion of documentation.
- Uses computer for communicating, researching parts and specifications, coordinating, documenting work details, and recording time log.
- Reports problems and needed repairs to supervisor to be documented and scheduled.
- Operates utility cart, pick-up truck, welding equipment, scissor lift, forklift, as certified, to access, repair, and transport personnel, equipment and waste materials.
- Consults and works with other trade workers, as needed, for completion of repairs and remodels.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical theory and the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the electrical trade for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical apparatuses, equipment and systems.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the electrical trade, including the National Electric Code and Electrical Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety of the State of California.
- Ability to assemble, install, maintain and repair electrical apparatuses.
- Ability to operate all applicable tools and equipment necessary to perform skilled electrical work.
- Ability to read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications.
- Ability to make rough sketches and to estimate the cost, time and materials of electrical work.
- Ability to maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and computerized record-keeping systems, and to prepare standard reports.
- Ability to provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants.
- Ability to analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the position, and to perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position.
- Ability to successfully complete the SJSU Defensive Driver Training Program and pass the course exam.
- Work schedule varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.
- Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License is required at time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position.
Any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard 8000 hour (4 year) electrician's apprenticeship program. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation.
Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.License
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.Preferred Qualifications
Commercial or university campus experienceCompensation
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,792/month
Salary Range: $5,542/month - $7,414/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
.Application Procedure **Application period has been extended to December 3, 2021.**
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: June 29, 2021 through July 13, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled