Salary: $33,923.00 - $53,095.00 Annually USD
General Description: This is a technical position and is for a Water Plant Operator at the Doswell Water Treatment Plant. An experienced operator with a State of Virginia issued water treatment license is preferred; however, persons without experience or license will be considered.
The water plant operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This position requires operators to work 12 hour shifts which rotate from day to night on a weekly cycle. Operators work approximately 14 days per month. Please note that this position has State water licensing requirements that begin within 24 months of hiring date. In-house training opportunities are available to help meet this requirement.
Organization: The Utility Operator position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Utility Operator position has four (4) levels: Operator-in-Training, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master. The CD requires that an employee obtain a Class IV Water Operator License within 2 years and a Class II Water Operator License within 5.5 years of hire.
Essential Functions: Duties will vary at each level of the career ladder. They include, but are not limited to the following.
• Conducts laboratory analysis.
• Monitors plant and system processes and makes adjustments as necessary.
• Maintains operational and maintenance records (both written and in computer).
• Assists with regulatory reporting.
• Collects samples for analysis.
• Keeps plant and work environment clean.
• Assists maintenance personnel as needed.
Equipment and process troubleshooting.
• Master Operators will function in a lead position and will be required to assist the Superintendent with a variety of administrative functions/special projects and stands-in during Superintendent's absence.
• Other operational duties as assigned.
• May be exposed to chemicals, dust, fumes, noise, vibration, repetitiveness,
• Field - Laboratory, industrial plant, outdoors in all weather conditions
C. Physical Effort
• Lifting of objects up to 50 lbs.
. Routinely walking up and down stairways and ladders.
. Occasional standing and/or working on feet for extended periods of time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Varies with CD level. Knowledge of water treatment and abilities, required. Knowledge and skills sufficient to meet CD requirements (e.g. certification, in-house promotion Board, etc.).
Education, Experience and Training:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Ability to operate a personal computer.
Prior water plant experience and possession of a State of Virginia water license. Experience in electrical and/or mechanical maintenance, laboratory experience, and familiarity with MS Office software. Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot water treatment processes and related equipment, and learn new tasks and procedures quickly.
• A Criminal Records Check is required for employment.
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License with acceptable driving record.
• Work days & nights, work holidays and weekends, work a 12 hour shift.
. Ability to operate a personal computer.
• Water License issued by the State of Virginia.
• Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter.
• Twelve-month probationary period.
• Essential staff designation; regardless of weather or road conditions the operator is required to report to work.
• Must wear uniform, including safety equipment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide a copy of your diploma/degree and any licenses and/or certifications.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous