Position Scope ***RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Under supervision, performs routine semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, repairs and operations of wastewater treatment plants, water production sites; water distribution lines and collections systems.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Samples/monitors water and wastewater using specialized equipment.
- Operates, maintains, monitors and adjusts a variety of equipment, including pumps, motors, gauges, meters, aerators, blowers, chlorinators, chemical feeds, sludge equipment and the SCADA system to ensure treated water meets City, County and State quality standards.
- Performs daily facility inspections by visually checking, equipment, machinery, chemical levels and related systems to ensure proper operation and to detect equipment failures, potential leaks or other problems.
- Operates wastewater treatment and sludge processing disposal equipment.
- Performs semi-skilled and skilled construction, maintenance and manual labor; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Operates a variety of trucks and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Performs routine wastewater or water line repairs and maintenance; plumbing work; installs and repairs water and sewer lines.
- Collects and delivers water and wastewater samples to laboratory.
- Completes required daily documentation, logs and reports.
- Picks up and delivers materials as directed.
- Must be available for emergency, on-call rotation.
- Performs field test for physical or chemical parameters
- Performs daily entry and record keeping
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent. Two (2) years of skilled water/wastewater equipment maintenance or operations experience; OR
equivalent combination of education and experience providing the skills, knowledge and ability to perform the required job duties. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of water and wastewater operations.
- Equipment maintenance and repair methods and materials.
- Safety standards and practices.
- Traffic laws and rules involved in vehicle and equipment operation.
- Principles of basic documentation and record keeping.
- Safe and efficient operation of trucks and equipment according to standard operating and safety procedures.
- Reading and interpreting maps, technical specifications and operations manuals for vehicles and equipment.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Create and maintain accurate information.
- Observe, compare and monitor data to determine compliance with prescribed operating, regulatory or safety standards.
- Enter data or information using a terminal, PC or other keyboard device.
- Learn new computer applications.
- Move heavy objects (50 pounds or more) short distances (20 feet or less).
- Perceive the full range of the color spectrum
- Work outside on uneven surfaces in extreme temperatures.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Grade II Certification, from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality in one or more of the following disciplines: Water Distribution, Water/Wastewater Treatment or Wastewater Collection. Grade III Wastewater Collection Certification is preferred. After-hours, shift, weekends and on-call work may be required. This position requires employees to be on-call on a rotating basis. On-call employees must be available to respond to the job-site within one (1) hour from the time they receive the call. Possession of a valid Arizona Driver's License is required. Possession of a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License or the ability to obtain one in 6 months may be required.Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Work is performed outdoors, in inclement weather and in public facilities.Reports To:
Water Resources Supervisor, or other supervisory staffSupervision Exercised:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous