Department: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Division: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Business Unit: HR-TRANSPORTATION ADMIN
Work Type: TEMPORARY
*Pay Grade: GRADE 26
Salary Range: $35,328.96 - $51,281.28
Fulltime/Parttime: Full Time
Recruiter: JANEL HOLLAWAY
Phone: 775 888-7911
WINTER SEASONAL POSITIONS FOR FALLON/YERINGTON/WELLINGTON/HAWTHORNE/COLD SPRINGS
Highway Maintenance Workers are certified by the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to operate a variety of complex or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment in order to restore and maintain the integrity of roadway surfaces; maintain roadside slopes, shoulders, culverts and ditches to restore drainage and prevent erosion; and repair or replace related roadway appurtenances such as guardrails, markers, guide posts and fences.
Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform work independently with little or no additional training.
This recruitment will be used to fill future vacancies as they occur with District II, within the next six months. Incumbent is responsible for performing routine maintenance duties, including keeping pavement surface, shoulders, clear zones, and associated roadways in good repair; summer betterment projects, and assistance in emergency operations. The hours for these positions are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts and four 10-hour shifts. These positions may require working in inclement weather. This is the continuing trainee level, and incumbents may progress to the next level after one year of being certified as a fully trained operator of complex or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment as designed by NDOT, satisfactory performance, and with approval of the appointing authority. Copy and paste https://youtu.be/V9QL_LHwY0c into the navigation bar of your browser for an inside look at NDOT's maintenance crews.
To see full Class Specifications
One year of experience performing basic highway maintenance work; OR one year of experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker I in Nevada State service.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, positions in this series have been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in these positions must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances. In addition, federal law requires random testing for controlled substances during employment.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
- This position may require working alternate shifts and outside of traditional business hours. The hours for this position are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hour shifts.
- These positions require an applicant be at least 18 years of age upon application. If selected, proof of being at least 18 years of age will be required.
- Tell us how you heard about us!
- A Class A or B com-mercial driver's license is required at time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of herbicide/insecticide application procedures and equipment.
- General knowledge of repairing highway roadbed, surface, shoulders, drainage facilities, and fixtures.
- General knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in routine highway maintenance activities.
- General knowledge of traffic control and routing through highway maintenance and construction zones.
- General knowledge of proper drainage and erosion control methods.
- General knowledge of snow removal and anti-icing techniques, materials and equipment.
- General knowledge of pruning and watering techniques for landscaped areas.
- General knowledge of traffic paints and beads and retroreflectivity qualities of these systems.
- General knowledge of dust control techniques.
- General knowledge of endangered species habitats, protection techniques and safe removal of non-native species.
- General knowledge of environmental regulations that control the method of work at job sites.
- General knowledge of incident command system and operational controls used during emergency operations.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and power tools associated with routine highway maintenance tasks.
- Ability to read and understand the Maintenance Management System Manual.
- Ability in all knowledge, skills and abilities required at the lower levels.
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
*The salary range indicated in this announcement is based on the Employee/Employer retirement compensation schedule. An employer-only option is available at a reduced salary range.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market: