CLASS SUMMARYNATURE OF WORK:
Performs routine custodial and minor maintenance work in the cleaning and care of a municipal building. Duties are routine and performed within prescribed limits. Possible errors are easily detected or minor in nature.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
The following Responsibilities and Requirements are functions the individual who holds or desires the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and waxes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpeting.
- Washes walls, inside windows and woodwork. May wash ground floor outside windows.
- Cleans restrooms and replenishes supplies; cleans stairs.
- Dusts, polishes, arranges, and moves furniture and equipment; removes rubbish and waste paper; cleans and polishes fixtures.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair tasks, such as painting small areas, repairing furniture, plumbing and plumbing fixtures, and replacing window panes and light bulbs or tubes; unstops lavatories and toilets.
- Polices and maintains area surrounding assigned building, such as sweeping walks, shoveling snow, or raking, mowing, and watering lawn.
- Uses hand tools or small power equipment applicable to the work.
- May assist in arranging furniture.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Knowledge of building cleaning practices, methods, supplies, and equipment.
- Ability to perform routine and repetitive custodial tasks without immediate supervision.
- Ability to maintain harmonious relations with other employees and the public.
- Ability to perform moderately heavy manual work.
- Ability to understand and use M.S.D.S. sheets
- Ability to see, with or without corrective lenses, well enough to read fine print, such as labels.
- Ability to hear, with or without a hearing aid, and speak well enough to converse in person.
- Ability to climb ladders up to ten (10) feet high.
- Enough body mobility to walk, kneel, crouch, and bend in order to mop, sweep, buff, and dust.
- Enough manual dexterity to use small tools.
- Enough strength to lift and carry items weighing up to fifty (50) lbs.
- Tolerance to work under adverse conditions, such as among dust, dirt, and cleaning agent odors and outdoors in heat and cold.
- This position will perform duties four (4) hours per day with up to twenty (20) hours per week, Monday - Friday.
- Flexible schedules may be available throughout the normal workday hours of 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
- For example, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, etc.
- Some previous janitorial experience is desirable but not required. May be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions.