Description The Ideal Candidate:
The City of El Segundo is seeking an action-oriented Senior Network Assistant to provide technical assistance on computer systems and networks. If you are proactive and thrive in a fast-paced work environment where you can be creative, then this could be the right role for you! The successful candidate will be adaptable and flexible to working on projects with shifting or competing priorities and must be able to maintain strict confidentiality. Opportunities to learn and expand your knowledge in other areas of information technology are available. Application and Selection Process
TO APPLY: Each applicant must submit a City of El Segundo Employment Application and respond to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire ONLINE by the final filing date. Failure to submit the online Employment Application and respond to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire will disqualify the candidate from further consideration. Please fill out the online Employment Application completely (including places of employment with complete addresses; i.e., number and street name, city and state, names of supervisors with telephone numbers, etc.). INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO REJECTION.
This recruitment process is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. The first review of applications will be completed on Monday, December 6, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. . Applications received after December 6, 2021 , may not be considered.
Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application and responses to supplemental questions will be invited to participate in the testing process.
The City of El Segundo, incorporated in 1917, is a unique, quaint city by the sea. Home to approximately 17,000 residents and over 75,000 private sector employees of major aeronautical, sports, media, industrial and multiple Fortune 500 companies including Mattel, Chevron and most recently, the Los Angeles Times and Beyond Meat. Further, El Segundo has become the headquarters for major sports franchises, including the LA Lakers and LA Kings. As the economy broadens, El Segundo is becoming home to a variety of high tech and "creative economy" start-up companies. This is reflected in the City motto "Where Big Ideas Take Off!" Essential Job Functions
Under general direction, provides day to day operational and technical support for all City automated systems, including the in-house operating system, public and staff microcomputers, Internet services, and specialized CD ROM Information Resources; provides immediate response and assistance to staff; coordinates the installation, maintenance, and repair of all computer hardware including printers, modems, file servers, routers, telephone systems, cables, and hubs which support the City's automated infrastructure.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Coordinates the ordering, installation and maintenance of all new City electronic and computer hardware/software equipment, including desktop PC workstations, printers, Internet file servers, hubs, routers, telephone systems, audio/visual systems, CD Rom workstations, scanners, and the City's network of cables and other equipment which interconnect with other City computer systems.
- Maintains the daily operations of the City computer systems at various sites within the City, including the duties of regular data tape backup functions, periodic upgrades, troubleshoot system failures, report other equipment and software problems to higher level staff and follow up to verify satisfactory solutions.
- Maintains a log of problem reports and tracks them until they are satisfactorily resolved.
- Maintains system security rights and password assignments.
- Installs and maintains server software and applications under supervision of the ISD staff.
- Prepares, installs, and maintains network hardware under supervision ISD staff.
- Provides staff training in the operation of computer networks and PC based software.
- Conducts periodic preventive maintenance, antiviral, and diagnostic testing of all hardware systems to ensure a high level of reliability.
- Provides staff support to the City Computer Committee; maintains and supports City-wide technology standards.
- Makes recommendations for hardware and software enhancements and purchases based upon study and analysis of current systems.
- Works with other personnel to resolve larger or more complicated problems, after initially assessing the situation.
- As necessary, responds to computer system problems and emergencies during off duty hours.
- Handles patching system software and routine system management using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.
- Performs Visio diagramming and documentation of existing systems, and tracks ports, plans, workstation configurations and other network details.
- Handles all Helpdesk Technician IT functions as required.
- Modern electronic processing theory, principles, and practices;
- Technical support requirements for microcomputer workstations, file servers, routers, telephone systems and the network of cables, routers and hubs which interconnect them, computer networking;
- Design and operation of computer hardware and software systems and networked computing environments including troubleshooting problems;
- Computer programs and applications packages used in municipal environment;
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems, Active Directory and System Policies;
- Basic software installation procedures; and
- Basic network and switching systems.
- Troubleshoot personal computer and network hardware and software malfunctions;
- Work in a structured project management environment;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Install personal computer hardware and software;
- Reason both logically and creatively;
- Work both independently and on project teams;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals at all levels in the City organization and with computer vendors;
- Provide both formal and informal training and support to system users;
- Understand and apply complex manuals and documents related to hardware and software; and
- Respond to computer system problems and emergencies when necessary during off duty hours.
Typical office environment. Regularly required to lift and carry computer hardware. Occasionally required to work in confined and restricted spaces. Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Completion of two years of college course work in Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Processing, or a closely related field and four years of increasingly responsible microcomputer and network experience including information systems analysis, design, implementation and troubleshooting experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the educational requirement. Prior city, county or other public sector experience is preferred. Licensing / Certification Requirements:
Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Class C California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record. A Microsoft Office Specialist Certification (MOS), Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), Network+ Certification, and a Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) are highly desired, but equivalent experience in these areas may be substituted. Supplemental Information Application Process:
This is an open recruitment process and only online applications will be accepted. In order to apply online, you will need to visit www.governmentjobs.com, create an account and submit an application. All properly submitted applications will be reviewed. Testing Process
The testing process will consist of a structured, technical oral interview (weighted 100% for eligible list placement).
THE CITY OF EL SEGUNDO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER