The City of Fort Lauderdale community builders possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
An employee in this class patrols the beach and ocean areas from an assigned lifeguard tower, patrol vehicle or vessel and performs rescue and accident prevention activities at the beach in an open water environment. Beach Lifeguards provide technical direction to lifeguard trainees in an assigned beach area and may be assigned to perform special division activities, such as dispatching, office coordinator, boat operator/deckhand and instructing in lifeguarding techniques. Employees educate and instruct the public on beach, water and other public safety matters.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT TO APPLY: APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH COPIES OF CERTIFICATIONS
- Patrols public beaches in the open water environment and warns swimmers of dangerous surf or other hazardous beach conditions; posts warning signs indicating hazardous conditions
- Responds to medical emergencies on the beach and in surrounding areas
- Enforces departmental rules and regulations, City ordinances and state statutes governing beach safety; reports missing persons to supervisor
- Operates and inspects lifeguard vehicles, boats, rescue equipment and reports any damages to supervisor
- Participates in the upkeep of facilities
- Participates in continuing training and instruction in open water rescue techniques, first responder medical care, disaster response, occupational safety practices, public relations and a variety of other subjects related to lifeguarding
- Measures and reports environmental conditions such as: wind speed and direction, air and water temperatures, surf and tide levels, beach erosion and visitor population
- Conducts water safety lessons, presentations and educational programs for schools, organizations and the general public
- Performs related work as required
1. Possess a currently valid America in Heart Association BLS (C.P.R.& AED) card or equivalent at time of appointment.
Six (6) months paid work experience performing open water lifeguard duties is preferred. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
2. Must complete a 40-hour minimum lifeguard training program with an organization certified by the United States Lifesaving Association.
3. Possess or be able to obtain a valid Florida Department of Transportation Emergency Medical Responder (formally First Responder) Certification or equivalent or an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification
4. Be able to successfully pass a performance test, which includes both simulated pool and ocean rescues prior to appointment. This test must be successfully passed every six (6) months after employment.
5. All required certifications and licenses, whether possessed at time of appointment or obtained after appointment, must be kept current and valid while employed in a position in this class HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Applications will be reviewed and the hiring authority will contact those applicants whose application reflects the best match of experience for the position. This is currently for part-time positions with the opportunity to compete for full-time employment, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous