CUSTODIAN SALARY INFORMATION
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open to the public eligible list to fill current and future Custodian vacancies at OC Public Works. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower level classifications throughout the County of Orange. DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59PM (PST) on the day the County's needs are met. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. ALL APPLICANTS WHO APPLY BY THURSDAY, JULY 14, 2022 AT 11:59PM PST WILL BE CONSIDERED IN THE FIRST ROUND OF CONSIDERATIONS. OC FACILITIES MAINTENANCE & CENTRAL UTILITY FACILITY (CUF)
OC Facilities Maintenance & Central Utility Facility (CUF) ensures the efficient and innovative operation of County facilities through maintenance management services, after-hours emergency support, building automation and utility management. A major component is the Central Utility Facility (CUF), a combined heat and power facility that provides cooling, heating and/or electricity to 23 buildings within the Santa Ana Civic Center area. OC Facilities Maintenance & CUF is a service area of OC Public Works.
For more information on OC Public Works click here
For more information on the County of Orange click here
. THE OPPORTUNITY
OC Facilities Maintenance & CUF is seeking Custodians to perform maintenance inside and outside County facilities using cleaning equipment and chemicals. Custodial Services are critical for the maintenance, health and safety at County facilities. This position may also be assigned to disinfect Covid-19 infected spaces with appropriate cleaning and sanitation methods. This position will be assigned to work Monday through Friday, 5:00pm to 1:30am. On occasion, may be required to fill in for the day porter. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidates must be able to perform moderate to strenuous physical work and must possess demonstrated knowledge and work experience in the following core competencies:Custodial Knowledge
- Cleaning and sanitation methods used in custodial work.
- Methods of cleaning floors, lavatories, windows, walls, doors, wood, and plastic furniture.
- Common cleaning materials such as soap, detergent, solvents, and waxes.
- Safety practices as applied to custodial work.
- Custodial equipment and its care and maintenance requirements.
- Operate heavy floor power cleaning equipment (vacuum cleaner and attachments, scrubbers, and buffers) to clean floors.
- Ability to recognize problem areas in cleaning and sanitizing in order to use the proper cleaning agent to remove different kinds of stains on a variety of surfaces.
- Move furniture, cabinets and other equipment.
- Wash windows, walls and lavatories, empty trash and dust furniture.
- Count, add, and subtract small numbers.
- Effectively communicate with supervision, co-workers and the public.
- Follow written and oral instructions and schedules.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Prepare written records of areas cleaned, requests for supplies or repairs as needed.
- Speak English sufficiently to communicate basic ideas to supervisor and fellow employees.
- Follow a work schedule and prioritize tasks.
- Stock supplies and equipment needed for the job.
- Order supplies in a timely manner through supervisor.
- Work effectively and co-operatively with co-workers who are working on a task.
to view the minimum qualifications including environmental conditions for Custodian.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum and/or desirable qualifications. After screening, applicants who meet the minimum and/or desirable qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via email of their status in the process. Online Assessment (Weighted 100%)
Applicants whose experience and education appear to best meet the needs of the department will be invited to participate in an online multiple choice examination. Only the applicants who receive the highest score on the assessment will be referred to the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified.
All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COVID 19 RELATED REQUIREMENTS
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. EMAIL NOTIFICATION Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.Questions?
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Sarah Correa
or by email at Sarah.Correa@ocpw.ocgov.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous