Description: Job Summary
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Financial Aid, this position serves as the initial contact via phone, in-person and via email correspondence for current and prospective students and their families regarding financial aid; completes document in-take; and completes reviews of financial aid files to ensure accuracy of awards and disbursement of financial aid. Department Summary
The Financial Aid Office is responsible for the determination of eligibility for and awarding of federal, state, institutional and private grants, scholarships, and work and loan programs in excess of $150M annually to over 13,000 eligible students. The office is responsible for adhering to the regulatory requirements as outlined in federal and state regulations as well as donor and institutional policies and for assuring compliance by the University. The Financial Aid Office serves the University by assisting students in obtaining financial aid and scholarships to attend Cal Poly. The Office's primary function is to provide appropriate financial aid based on federal and state parameters and in keeping with CSU and Cal Poly institutional policies. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- General knowledge of research and interview techniques, including the ability to obtain factual information through interviews.
- General knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage a caseload and set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to successfully interact with a diverse student population and to assess student needs.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job-related field. One year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job-related education may be substituted for the required experience. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $45,552 - $49,200 per year
Classification Range: $45,552 - $64,428 per year Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Poly is an equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H-1B visas).
Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled