Notes to Applicants Pay Range
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Engineering or in a field related to the job.
- Minimum eight (8) years of progressively increasing responsibilities relevant to the electric utility industry; including four (4) years in an executive capacity.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for (2) two years of the required non-executive experience.
Job Close Date Type of Posting
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Hours may vary depending upon business needs.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Austin Energy Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
4815 Mueller Blvd Austin Texas 78723 Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Community Collaborator - Has experience presenting complex information strategies as a subject matter expert to internal and external stakeholders on projects and programs that may include public outreach, council updates, and program implementation.
- Electric Utility Expertise - Advanced expertise in the area of environmental stewardship for the Electric Utility Industry with a background in municipal or public power.
- Agility - Ability to effectively manage changes and guide those changes through significant challenges while achieving organizational goals and objectives.
- Equity Lens - Ability to use an equity lens and framework to create inclusive, diverse, and safe workplaces and programs.
- Communicates Effectively - Demonstrates the ability to convey and receive information and ideas in an open, clear, and articulate manner with respect to cultural differences and others' perspectives.
- Exercises Leadership - Uses appropriate judgement to handle critical, problematic, or striking sets of conditions with focus, ownership, and accountability.
- Thinks Strategically - Enables others to better understand and implement the vision and strategy, while being the aligned forward thinker, has the ability to formulate and communicate sound business strategy and implement it in a clear and concise manner.
Reporting to the General Manager, this position operates with a high level of autonomy as the Chief Operating Officer for Austin Energy (AE). The Chief Operating Officer provides leadership, oversight and strategic direction for utility operations of the City's electric utility including Transmission, Distribution, Engineering, Field Operations, Power Production, Energy Market Operations and Resource Planning functions (Operations Functions). This position has full responsibility for the Operations Functions of the electric utility.Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Accountable for the overall leadership, direction, and financial management of AE Operations Functions, including emergency management and compliance with all associated regulatory requirements. Accountable for the operational performance of AE assets including safety, reliability, environmental responsibility, and cost-effective operations and maintenance. Accountable for planning and deploying operational strategic capital investments and the prudent management of risk, including risk associated with operating in the ERCOT wholesale market. Accountable for the timely and accurate recording and reporting of operational criteria for Austin Energy in accordance with all applicable policies, regulatory, and compliance requirements. Accountable for the planning, deployment, management and security of strategic data and technology resources in support of AE Operations Functions. Accountable for the effective and efficient planning, management, and development of the AE operations workforce with an emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Responsible for representing AE in matters of interest with governmental and regulatory agencies, boards, councils, and commissions, as well as partnership with oversight bodies. Responsible for advising the General Manager and other executives on matters pertaining to AE Operations Functions and ensure all functions are operating together effectively to achieve strategic initiatives and goals. Responsible for assuming AE General Manager duties and responsibilities in their absence. Responsibilities
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws; regulations and ordinances affecting the utility.
- Knowledge and expertise in the areas of electric industry and municipal utility Transmission, Distribution, Engineering, Field Operations, Power Production, Energy Market Operations, and Resource Planning functions.
- Knowledge of strategic business planning, reengineering, organizational change strategies, and performance measurement to achieve business excellence.
- Skill to develop flexible and adaptable strategies to achieve organizational goals by understanding the organizational capabilities and external market conditions, the regulatory environment, and technological advancements; ability to design short and long-term strategies and programs that are scalable and efficient in a large and complex organization.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with city employees, City Council, the media, and the public.
- Skill in creating customer value and addressing evolving customer needs; ability to meet customer expectations.
- Ability to implement current best practices of leadership and management through training and maintaining an engaged work environment; develop staff to act with a focus on the future, be adaptable, overcome resistance to change and execute with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to use an equity lens and framework to create inclusive, diverse, and safe workplaces and community programs.
- Ability to manage diversity, understand inclusion, and work with diverse communities or populations to build constructive and effective relationships.
- Ability to develop, implement and administer goals, objectives and procedures for providing effective and efficient services for Austin Energy and the City of Austin.
- Ability to work with and coordinate between multiple city departments and internal business units to meet goals and objectives.
- Ability to make decisions and develop innovative approaches to deal with frequent change or unexpected events, handle conflict and uncertain situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; develop and deliver public presentations.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Engineering or in a field related to the job. Minimum eight (8) years of progressively increasing responsibilities relevant to the electric utility industry; including four (4) years in an executive capacity. Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for (2) two years of the required non-executive experience. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* Describe your executive experience and your related span of control, budget and list the functions you oversee.
(Open Ended Question)
* Austin Energy fully participates in the ERCOT wholesale market as a vertically integrated utility. What experience do you have managing market risk and supporting energy market operations?
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience working with community stakeholders to advance an initiative in a mutually beneficial manner.
(Open Ended Question)
* What role have you held during an electric utility operational emergency and how have you participated in a formal incident command structure?
(Open Ended Question)
* What does inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility mean to you and how have you incorporated into your work?
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you currently serving in an executive position?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents