OVERVIEW Make a difference in your community.Become a part of the Kitsap County team!Do what you love while serving the citizens where you live.Summary of position:
The Kitsap County Juvenile Detention Facility has an opportunity for an individual to provide on-call food services support in our department. This position performs routine entry level work involving food preparation and service work for individuals housed in the secured facility. Duties may include: cooking, baking, and otherwise preparing food, setting up and serving a variety of meals, and performing related cleaning tasks under established guidelines of the highest sanitation and safety standards.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment used in large scale or institutional cooking operations; time scheduling, sanitation, and safety procedures used in food service operations; the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; and culinary organizational skills.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- One year of experience and/or training in food preparation, including the set up and operation of basic kitchen equipment, is required; OR
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the work.
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements Please note
- Experience in large scale food preparation or in an institutional food service setting.
- Food Science degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education and Safe Serve completion.
- Possession of a Safe Serve Certificate.
- Custodial or high standard kitchen cleaning experience.
: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements.
Prior to employment the successful candidate must :
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Pass a criminal history background check, including fingerprinting, through law enforcement agencies.
- Possess and submit verification of a valid and current food handler's permit.
Within 30 days of appointment, the successful candidate must:
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- Obtain or possess current First Aid and CPR certification.
- Complete a Tuberculosis Test (and yearly thereafter.)
- Complete Blood borne/Airborne Pathogens training.
- Receive the Hepatitis B vaccine series or sign a waiver.
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age. As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which will include fingerprinting.
Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf Working Conditions/Physical Activities
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work is performed in a kitchen area of a secured facility.
- Adequate vision and coordination to operate food service and preparation equipment.
- Sufficient physical strength, coordination, dexterity and mental alertness to assure safety.
- Clear speaking and adequate hearing sufficient to communicate effectively and respond appropriately.
- Walking and standing for extended periods.
- Bending, stooping, reaching, handling/grasping tools.
- Requires exertion of force of up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or 20 pounds frequently to lift/carry/move food service equipment, and materials. Assistance is typically available for the heaviest lifting.
Incumbents may be :
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- In contact with individuals housed and fed in the facility such as juvenile detainees.
- Exposed to environmental hazards associated with food preparation and service and chemicals related to sanitation of the equipment and food service area.
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class.) In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Prepare, cook, bake, and serve a variety of foods with a well balanced and nutritional emphasis.
- Maintain proper standards of sanitation by cleaning equipment such as stoves, kettles, pots and pans, dishes, cooler, storage and food service areas.
- Wash and sanitize dishes, kitchen equipment and appliances, kitchen and dining area; sweep and mop floors according to established procedures.
- Set up lunch and dinner food service line and serve meals.
- Clean kitchen, dining areas or perform light housekeeping in the facility.
- Record required information for documentation as requested by the supervisor.
- Observe and report any problems, discrepancies, and suggestions regarding the food service operation in a timely manner
- Fold towels, washcloths, blankets, kitchen towels/potholders, and detainee outer/underclothing.
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- This position is covered by the Kitsap County Extra Help Policy.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- This recruitment is being used to fill an existing open position, and may be used to fill future openings for up to six (6) months.
- Work hours for this position will vary and may include weekend and evening shifts.
- Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the application materials submitted. Per RCW 42.56.250, all applications for public employment, including the names of applicants, resumes, and other related materials submitted with respect to an applicant are exempt from public inspection.