The Senior Director of Design and Construction leads, directs and manages a team of construction managers responsible for the design and construction phases of campus projects with a special focus on all major capital projects. The Senior Director serves a critical role as the campus architect and building official and develops processes and procedures for the successful management and implementation of construction projects. The Senior Director is responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with campus clientele and outside agencies while driving forward a vision of stewardship for all phases of a project lifecycle and ensuring services are delivered in a customer-focused manner. The Senior Director works collaboratively with other leaders within Facilities Development and Operations to establish multi-year capital investment plans, master plans, and campus standards (design details, product standards, and specifications) to support University goals and objectives. The Senior Director administers an assigned budget associated with recharge of the Design & Construction Unit’s services to the campus. The Senior Director also participates with other senior managers to develop, establish, and implement Department strategic and operational plans and initiatives.
The Design & Construction unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across five sites comprised of +170 acres, 52 buildings, and more than six million gross square feet. The Unit employs three full-time permanent staff (whose efforts are integrated with the Physical & Capital Planning and Maintenance & Infrastructure Projects units) and utilizes several consultants in the delivery of services to the campus.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Oversees and has direct responsibility for a broad portfolio of large scale capital improvement, deferred maintenance, capital renewal, and other construction projects including all phases of the project lifecycle
- Conducts meetings necessary to manage the project portfolio
- Determines labor resource assignments based on staff skill/expertise requirements, project priorities, schedule requirements, and resource availability
- Ensures projects are compliant with campus construction requirements as related to design, permitting, and code compliance as well as working closely with the campus construction administrator regarding issues or challenges which arise
- Develops and oversees project close-out including agency approval, training, warranties, and certificate of completion, as-built records, and other requirements. Oversees post construction phases as required by SUAM including the commissioning process
- Works closely with the Senior Associate Vice President- Facilities Development & Operations and the Physical & Capital Planning Unit to support development of the annual Five Year Capital Plan submission by the campus to the CSU Chancellor’s Office
- Develops and maintains the overall campus construction project portfolio reporting matrix for all FD&O units and ensures it is up to date as well as made available to the campus community
- Provides reports on the performance of campus construction projects, including performance metrics, for transparency, accountability, and decision-making
- In partnership with others, develops and implements employee engagement initiatives to improve job satisfaction, inspire performance, and enable individual and team success
- Develops and implements strategies to improve the customer experience and ease access to services and information utilizing varied methods of communication, including a robust unit website
- Advises the Senior Associate Vice President on situations, which require political acumen and sensitivity
- Ensure compliance with applicable safety policies and regulations as well as building and life safety codes
- Thorough knowledge as required to lead and oversee a large and complex energy and utilities infrastructure organization, including but not limited to: co-generation (5.7MW), exterior utility systems and infrastructure including power generation, facility automation, and energy management and fire alarm and security systems and networks
- Thorough knowledge in project design and construction management principles which result in successful project performance related to scope identification, budget and schedule performance, and quality control
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative problem-solver, a strategic thinker, and an effective decision maker
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing a strong customer service approach to work efforts while motivating staff in a challenging environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and work harmoniously with a diverse group of individuals at all levels within and outside of the organization
- Ability to effectively interpret, organize and present information, ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative, collaborative and facilitation skills to obtain decisions required to move forward toward implementation
- Ability to independently recognize and accommodate changing priorities; meet deadlines/goals; and complete routine tasks despite intermittent interruptions
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field OR equivalent experience such as might be attained through ten years of supervisory experience, of which a minimum of five years is associated with progressively responsible senior level experience
- Ten years of supervisory experience
- Five years of senior leadership experience within the field of design and construction management
- Demonstrated management experience leading and overseeing project management teams responsible for the design and construction of large scale commercial projects
- Prefer registration as a California licensed Architect
- Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) such as might be granted by the Project Management Institute
- Certification as a California Access Compliance Specialist
- Certification as a Building Official such as might be granted by the International Code Council
- Certifications for code-related inspections such as might be granted by the International Code Council
- Experience as a building official or architect/engineer of record
- Experience in design and construction management for a State facility, College or University, or other large-scale, multi-facility complex such as a corporate or other campus
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $13,334/month - $16,496/month
CSU Salary Range: $6,250/month - $20,063/month
The final hiring salary will be commensurate with experience.
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 9, 2023 through October 24, 2023
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment, and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled