Job Summary We are currently seeking a skilled and versatile Equipment Operator to join our Asphalt Crew and contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the City's sidewalks and streets. As an Street Equipment Operator for Asphalt, you will be responsible for operating a variety of equipment, ensuring the smooth functioning and appearance of our city's infrastructure. Apply today with The City of Grand Prairie!
The purpose of this position is to operate various types of equipment in order to maintain the City's sidewalks and streets. An equipment operator in streets may work in any one of these key areas: Asphalt Crew, Drainage Crew or with the Concrete Crew based on experience and ability. This position will be working in the Asphalt Crew
This is accomplished by operating various equipment; maintaining streets and sidewalks throughout the City; laying drainage pipes; cleaning storm drains and drainage channels; performing code work; installing new guardrails; and completing roadwork for new construction. Other duties include performing preventative maintenance on equipment; and interacting with other City employees and citizens.
Essential Job Functions
- Loads materials by running equipment such as: track loaders, rubber tire loaders, and dump trucks.
- Maintains streets and sidewalks throughout the City by sawing, breaking, digging, and setting forms; pouring and finishing concrete work; cutting and tying steel; and placing signs and barricades in roadways.
- Lays drainage pipes by assisting to set grades and level ditch lines; and assembling new drainage pipes.
- Cleans storm drains and drainage channels by ensuring the area is clear of debris.
- Performs code work by removing limbs and other debris from roadways; placing road signs and barricades in the appropriate locations; cutting down trees; and removing debris from illegal dump sites.
- Installs new guardrails by removing damaged guardrails; digging new post holes for replacement rails; and installing new guardrail.
- Completes roadwork for new construction by assisting in setting grade elevations; compacting sub base; water sub base; shoveling and picking to assist in making grades.
- Performs preventative maintenance by inspecting and performing required maintenance and repairs of all equipment used
The City offers a full range of benefits for full time employees, including, but not limited to the plans as defined in the Benefits Guide. Summary of Benefits
- High School Diploma or GED required to be considered.
- 1 year of experience required to be considered . Experience may be direct experience in Asphalt OR related experience which may include work typically outdoors including use of tools and/or machinery, construction work, warehouse work using forklifts or other similar type experience.
- Valid Class A CDL Driver's License preferred or ability to obtain within 180 days.
Closing Date/Time: 10/26/2023 5:00 PM Central