**THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED, AND MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME. APPLICATIONS ARE SCREENED ON A REGULAR BASIS **
The Recreation Administrative Assistant classification is responsible for providing outstanding customer service at the Recreation facilities while performing basic clerical tasks and light maintenance to ensure facilities are safe, presentable, and welcoming. Assignments are generally limited and routine in scope and are performed within a procedural framework established by higher-level employees. Although Recreation Administrative Assistants are trained to work interchangeably at the Milpitas Community Center, Milpitas Sports Center, and Barbara Lee Senior Center, most are assigned a regular weekly schedule at one of the three facilities and have the option to pick up additional shifts at any facility.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is a temporary, unbenefited position and is considered extra help.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Greet members of the public, visitors, delivery personnel, and employees arriving at the facility. Provide directions and assist with check-in as needed.
- Respond to in-person, phone, and e-mail inquiries, handling routine requests promptly and professionally, routing complex inquiries to the appropriate staff member, taking messages, and following up on inquiries as needed.
- Process registration, rental, and membership transactions in the ActiveNet system and perform cashier duties
- Maintain the office and lobby areas, including bulletin boards, literature racks, and lobby decor. Data entry, generating reports, filing, and retrieving files.
- Receive and distribute supply orders and maintain inventory records.
- Open and close building in accordance with established procedures.
- Basic office functions
- Customer service techniques
- Appropriate use of office equipment
- Basic record-keeping
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Maintain a professional front desk environment by providing friendly, professional, efficient customer service to diverse external and internal clients.
- Understand and enforce facility rules, policies, and procedures, demonstrate leadership, public relations, and good decision-making skills
- Understand, accurately explain, and enthusiastically promote in conversation the programs, services, rentals, and special events offered departmentwide.
- Maintain attention to detail when processing transactions and paperwork.
- Perform various cleaning and maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility, including front desk and lobby environment.
- Promptly reporting safety concerns and emergencies and mitigating hazards.
- Ability to work independently, as this employee may be the only staff in the building during certain early or late shifts.
- Prepare and maintain reports
- Represent the City of Milpitas Recreation and Community Services in a professional manner Follow the City’s and Recreation and Community Services’ policies and regulations.
- Minimum age at the time of hire is 18 years old.
- No experience is required. Some office and/or customer service experience is preferred. Strong communication skills in English, both written and spoken. Bilingual communication skills in Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese are a plus.
Typical Qualifications SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment. Essential duties require prolonged sitting, computer use, and telephone use in an office environment and be able to reach, squat, lift, and carry up to 25 pounds. Work is typically accomplished in an indoor environment with heavy public contact.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Supervision is received from a Recreation Services Supervisor, or higher, job classification.
- No supervision is exercised over others.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.
City of Milpitas Temporary/ Seasonal Employee* Benefits at a GlanceRetirement Benefits
Federal law requires that employees who are not members of the City retirement plan (CalPERS) be covered under an alternate retirement plan (PARS).
6% of your salary will be deducted for participation in the PARS plan. The City will also contribute 1.5% of your earnings to your PARS account every pay period.Paid Time Off
In accordance with State Law, after 90 days, Temporary/Seasonal employees receive 24 hours to use for sick leave.Work and Life
Temporary/Seasonal employees are eligible for membership at the Milpitas Sports Center.
Temporary/Seasonal employees are eligible for membership in Commonwealth Credit Union, which offers a broad range of financial and investment services.
Temporary/Seasonal employees may qualify for Transportation Reduction Incentive Program (TRIP) cash incentive or transit subsidies based on their commute method.Health Insurance
(Not available to most Temporary/Seasonal Employees)
Temporary employees in a non-clerical position hired in the Planning, Engineering and Building Divisions may qualify for participation in CalPERS health, Delta Dental and Vision. (per Res. 7062) o Multiple plans available through CalPERS Health; plans with Kaiser rate or lower are paid by the City.
Delta Dental: City paid
Vision: City paid
*Temporary/Seasonal employees are limited to work no more than 1000 hours per Fiscal Year.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous