Position/Program Information EXAM NUMBER
C3322S-R TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity FILING PERIOD
We will begin receiving applications on Monday, August 28, 2023, at 8:00 a.m. (PT). Filing will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION
Management Appraisal and Performance Plan (MAPP): This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal and Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations. BENEFITS INFORMATION
The County of Los Angeles offers an excellent benefits package which includes a Cafeteria Benefit Plan, Contributory Defined Benefit Retirement Plan, matched 401(k) Savings and Deferred Compensation & Thrift Plans, 13 paid holidays, 10 paid leave days and an option to buy one to 20 more, and flexible work schedules.
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 38 Departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment , public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities, and many more. WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for a leader and a team player to assist in the administration of the Department of Public Works and has particular responsibility for the activities of an assigned group of divisions. The ideal candidate will exercise a thorough knowledge of the principles of engineering, organization, administration, and personnel management and the interrelationship of the department's activities with those of other County departments and local, state, and federal agencies.
Essential Job Functions WHAT THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR WOULD DO:
- Assist in the direction, management, and administration of all phases of the operation of the Department of Public Works.
- Formulate branch plans, policies, standards, and procedures.
- Direct the activities of the branch, usually comprised of three or more divisions, including assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of the branch.
- Direct special studies, investigations, and reports concerning departmental and branch activities.
- Coordinate work among the divisions within the assigned branch, and assists in the coordination of work among the branches in the department and with other County departments.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the departmental budget, prepare and administer the branch budget, and serve as a fund manager for the department as needed.
- Assist in the coordination of departmental programs with those of the Federal, state and local agencies.
- Represent the department, as needed, at public meetings, conferences, and committee meetings.
- Act for the Assistant Director in his/her absence as needed.
- Oversee the preparation of correspondence and reports which require the special attention and signature of the Assistant Director, Chief Deputy Director, or the Director of Public Works.
Requirements REQUIREMENTS: Option 1:
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university*
with specialization in engineering or architecture -AND-
one (1) year of experience at the level of County of Los Angeles class of Assistant Deputy Director, Public Works** or higher. Option 2:
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university* with specialization in engineering or architecture -AND
- five (5) years of experience managing a staff of 25 or more, responsible for performing highly complex**** work in the field of civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, architecture, or project management. One (1) year of the aforementioned experience must have included the performance of highly complex**** budget, administration, external affairs, and long-range planning duties. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California State Certificate of Registration as an Architect,
Civil Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, or Electrical Engineer***** -AND-
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL EXPECTATIONS:
This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:*
In order to receive credit for a bachelor’s degree
, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application at the time of filing or within seven (7) calendar days from application submission. Note:
Foreign studies must be evaluated by an academic credential evaluation agency and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. (See Accreditation Information under Employment Information). **
Experience at the level of an Assistant Deputy Director, Public Works
is defined as directing the activities of a large***
engineering, engineering support, or project management division in the Department of Public Works. ***
A large division
is defined as one consisting of two (2) or more sections. **** Highly complex
work refers to tasks, projects, or activities that involve intricate and multifaceted elements, often requiring advanced skills, in-depth knowledge, and sophisticated problem-solving abilities to navigate and accomplish effectively. Such work typically demands a deep understanding of various interconnected components, intricate relationships, and intricate processes. *****
In order to receive credit, you must provide a valid copy of the California State Certificate of Registration as an Architect, Civil Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, or Electrical Engineer at the time of application submission or within seven (7) calendar days. A printout from the State of California Consumer Affairs website will also be accepted. ENDORSEMENT OF COUNTY QUALIFICATIONS:
County employees who wish to meet the experience requirements using out-of-class experience must provide official documentation such as additional responsibility bonus, out-of-class bonus, temporary assignment bonus, or reclassification study from CEO Classification with your application at the time of filing or within seven (7) calendar days from application submission. Employees do not need to submit such verification if they hold or have held a position deemed to be at equivalent level. Out-of-class duties should be accurately described in the application work history, and questionable experience will be verified through the departmental HR Manager when necessary. WITHHOLD INFORMATION:
No withholds will be allowed for this examination. Required education, certification and experience must be fully met and indicated on the application at the time of filing.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
The exam consists of two (2) parts weighted 100%: PART I:
A multiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s) measuring Leading and Supervising, Deciding and Initiating Action, Adhering to Principles, Delivering Results, Relating and Networking, Achieving Work Goals, Entrepreneurial Thinking, Persuading and Influencing, Adapting and Responding to Change, Coping with Pressure and Setbacks, and Formulating Strategies and Concepts.
These assessments fall under Civil Service Rule 7.19
, which means you are not able to review the questions or your responses once you have completed the assessment. PART II:
A Training and Experience evaluation assessing competencies gained in the following areas:
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AND ACHIEVE A COMBINED PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON PARTS I AND II OF THE EXAMINATION IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE REGISTER.NOTE:
- Experience directing the organization/function operations of a public works organization or any other comparable public/private/non-profit agency;
- Experience overseeing the annual budget;
- Experience representing a public works organization or any other comparable public/private/non-profit agency at public meetings, conferences, and committee meetings; and
- Experience implementing a program, major project, or organization initiative.
All notifications including invitation letters will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that you provide a valid email address. DO NOT select "off" under Email Preferences within your profile or click "unsubscribe" on our notices if you would like the County of Los Angeles to notify you regarding your application status, test schedules, and other important information pertaining to your candidacy for this position. Please add the following to your email address and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail:
Los Angeles County will not consider claims of not viewing or receiving notification to be a valid reason for late test administration or rescheduling of a test component. TRANSFER OF TEST COMPONENTS:
- Applicants who have taken identical components recently for other exams may have their responses automatically transferred to this examination.
- This examination contains test components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test responses may be transferred.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find a Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice-tests / .
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of six (6) months following the date of promulgation. Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the register of eligible candidates accordingly.
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies within the Department of Public Works.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any SPECIAL INFORMATION: TESTING ACCOMMODATION:
If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, you will be given the opportunity to make a request when completing your application. Please note, you may be required to submit documentation from a qualified medical provider or other qualified professional to support your request for a testing accommodation. ANTI-RACISM, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION (ARDI):
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORM ATION:
Applications must be filed online only. We will begin receiving applications on Monday, August 28, 2023, at 8:00 a.m. (PT) . All application must be received before
5:00 p.m. (PT) on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the 5:00 p.m. (PT) deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty
, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the r equirements as listed on this job posting. Provide any relevant job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT:
Please note that all
information included in the application materials is subject to verification
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification
of any information may result in disqualification
or rescission of appointment
. Utilizing verbiage from Class Specification and requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For applicants who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. Laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots from some public libraries throughout Los Angeles County may be available for check out. Department Contact Name:
Jasmine HinesDepartment Contact Phone:
(213) 738-2008Department Contact Email:
JHines@hr.lacounty.gov Testing Accommodations Coordinator Email:
TestingAccommodations@hr.lacounty.gov Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077California Relay Services Phone:
For detailed information, please click here