Reporting to and under the general direction of the Senior Director, Employee Relations, Retention and Equal Opportunity and in regular consultation with the Senior Director, Faculty Services and the Senior Associate Vice President, University Personnel, the Director, Academic Employee Relations provides San José State University with experienced, collegial, academically-focused leadership in the development and administration of personnel procedures for Unit 3 (faculty, librarians, coaches, counselors) and Unit 11 (TAs, GAs, and ISAs) as determined by requirements of Collective Bargaining Agreements, policies of SJSU, the CSU, and appropriate state and federal statutes. The incumbent provides oversight to the employee relations processes for Units 3 and 11 and performs investigations pursuant to campus policies and, if applicable, CSU Executive Orders. The position will ensure timely compliance to policy and procedures outlined in applicable federal and state regulations as well as campus and CSU policies.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Oversee administration of the collective bargaining agreements for Unit 3 (Faculty) and Unit 11 (Academic Student Employees).
- Provide regular training for staff, department chairs, and administrators on the CBAs and policies pertaining to Faculty and ASEs.
- Interpret and apply policies related to academic personnel issues, collaborating with other UP units as necessary, particularly Faculty Services. Provides expert advice regarding these personnel issues to senior leadership as well as staff where appropriate.
- Investigate, hear, and prepare responses to grievances in compliance with CBAs.
- Liaise with Senior Director, Faculty Services and other colleagues in UP, as well as Office of General Counsel, Title IX, DHR, Chancellor’s Office, divisions, departments/colleges, and the California Faculty Association and UAW on academic personnel matters.
- Prepare/review reprimands and disciplinary notices per CBA and applicable policies.
- Conduct investigations pursuant to applicable policies for professional misconduct as necessary.
- Prepare final investigation reports to be disseminated to appropriate parties.
- Serve as a representative on campus and/or system-wide committees as assigned.
- Participate in the preparation/review of mandated reports/responses to the CSU, WASC, and other internal and external agencies (EEOC, DFEH, OCR) as assigned.
- Serve as work lead for staff, if applicable, assigned to processing grievances and/or other processes related to Faculty and/or ASEs.
- Strong to expert knowledge of the relevant collective bargaining agreements, SJSU policies, CSU policies, and applicable state & federal labor laws or the ability to quickly learn
- Demonstrated strong writing skills
- Strong analytic ability and ability to synthesize high volume of information pertinent to employee relations issues
- Strong knowledge of the organizational structures of the University, and of current issues in higher education or the ability to quickly learn
- Strong knowledge of basic HR principles in managing and/or directing staff
- Knowledge of CSU Executive Orders and University Policies or the ability to quickly learn
- Knowledge of communication and data-processing technologies (Google Suite for example) in use on campus or the ability to quickly learn
- Strong interpersonal skills conducive to building and maintaining professional, respectful relationships with all constituencies within a diverse multicultural environment
- Skills in mediation and conflict resolution
- Ability to present information clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to provide solutions to complex, system-related problems with sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy
- Advanced Degree in labor/employee relations, human resources management, public administration, business administration, organizational planning/policy, or a related field
- 3-5 years’ administrative and/or supervisory experience interpreting and/or applying collective bargaining agreements (preferably in an academic environment), including processing grievances, conducting investigations, preparing professional written memos/reports/notices, and knowledge of employee contracts; Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years administrative and/or supervisory experience may substitute for advanced degree
- Juris Doctorate
- Increasingly responsible professional leadership or management experience in an academic environment; Specialized training/practice in labor and employment law; Experience in higher education; Experience in the California State University system
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $11,500/month - $12,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $4,583/month - $14,713/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
This position is open until filled.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment, and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Campus Security Authority - In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, this position is subject to ongoing review for designation as a Campus Security Authority. Individuals that are designated as Campus Security Authorities are required to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution and complete Clery Act training as determined by the university Clery Director.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled