Under general supervision, design/map, install, inspect, maintain and repair commercial irrigation systems, including parks, sports fields, medians and other landscape areas. The incumbent will diagnose, troubleshoot, and repair all components of a commercial irrigation system; install, inspect, maintain, repair, test and certify City backflow prevention devices.Essential Functions / Knowledge, Skills, & AbilitiesEssential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design and installation commercial scale irrigation systems;
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and repair all component of a commercial irrigation system;
- Inspect, maintain, repair, and install irrigation systems throughout city owned property;
- Inspect, test, repair and certify backflow devices throughout city-owned property;
- Install, inspect and perform major repair to electronic and hydraulic valves and controllers;
- Identify landscape areas that require irrigation modifications or renovations and take corrective action;
- Troubleshoot, repair and replace a wide variety of sprinkler heads and lines by removing, disassembling, and replacing broken components;
- Operate compressors, jackhammers, trenchers and other power tools;
- Monitor and adjust sprinklers and water usage levels to eliminate runoff;
- Maintain equipment and material along with ordering of supplies needed for repair or installation;
- Supervise contract staff and train lower level maintenance personnel in the maintenance and operation of irrigation systems as required;
- Utilize proper safety precautions related to work being performed;
- Prepare daily, regulatory, safety and maintenance reports;
- Document and maintain all records of work, as-build's and reports accordingly;
- Repair and replace freestanding drinking fountains, including drainage;
- Dig ditches and trenches to install irrigation systems; and
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Methods and techniques used in irrigation system design, repairs and installations;
- Testing, operation and installation requirements of backflow prevention devices;
- Installing, programming and operating all types of irrigation controllers and timers;
- Must be familiar with the design and installation of low-volume irrigation systems, including drip irrigation; and
- Pertinent local, state and federal rules, regulations, laws and reporting requirements in regards to landscape water usage and conservation.
- Reading, interpreting, and applying information from blueprints or drawings related to irrigation system installation, maintenance and repair;
- Effectively supervising the work of others in a lead capacity, as assigned; and
- Establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with the general public, co-workers, and those contacted during the course of work.
Minimum QualificationsSufficient education, training, and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities, which would typically be acquired through: Education:
- Perform skilled work in the testing, diagnoses, maintenance, repair and installation of backflow prevention devices on City irrigation systems;
- Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Maintain accurate records;
- Prepare reports in a timely and accurate manner;
- Safely and skillfully operate tools required and equipment related to work assignments; and
- Understand and follow work safety procedures and practices.
- Must possess a high school diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED); and
- Trade education or advanced degree is desirable.
- Six (6) years of increasingly responsible experience performing irrigation system installation and maintenance duties including experience working with Centralized Computer Irrigation Systems.
- Possession of a valid California's Class "C" driver's license required at time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment;
- Class "A" is highly desirable;
- Possession of a valid Backflow Prevention Device Tester certification from Los Angeles County Department of Health Services; and
- Possession of a valid certified Landscape Irrigation Technician certification.
Additional InformationWorking Conditions:
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include call outs, nights, and/or weekends to accommodate City needs.
The physical skills and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, climb, push, pull, lift up to 50 lbs., and wear protective apparel; exposure to heat, noise, outdoors, vibration, confined work space, chemicals, explosive materials, mechanical hazards, electrical hazards, toxic substances, foul odors, wastewater, sludge, effluents, bacteria, viruses, and traffic hazards; ability to travel to different sites and locations; must be able to respond to emergency calls within a specified time when participating in the emergency standby program. THE COMPETITION FOR THE POSITION:
Applications will be reviewed. Admission to competitive examination may be limited to those whose applications show the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position. Any part of the examination process may be qualifying only.
The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you clearly demonstrate that you meet the selection requirements. A copy of any and all of the above-listed required driver's licenses, certificates, transcripts, and/or degrees must be attached to your application.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed in one (1) of three (3) Bands on the Eligibility List. The names will be placed in alphabetical order within each Band. The Eligibility List will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months from the date the List is posted.