Under general supervision, to provide psychiatric casework, counseling, psychotherapy, and treatment services in a counseling center, clinic, or institutional setting.Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. These positions are located in both our Mental Health Division and our Alcohol & Drug Services Division.
- Performs intensive casework, counseling, psychotherapy, and treatment services with patients or clients and their families;
- Participates in the evaluation of problems presented and in the development of treatment plans;
- May participate in group therapy programs;
- Prepares social case histories with particular emphasis upon psycho-social factors affecting the patient or client;
- Cooperates with staff and other community agencies in carrying out treatment plans;
- Participates in psychotherapy programs with psychiatric and/or milieu staff treatment teams;
- Interprets and explains social and emotional factors pertaining to illness to clients, relatives and community groups, and may conduct educational sessions and training events, as appropriate;
- Evaluates new techniques for dealing with emotional and environmental problems;
- Refers patients or clients to appropriate community agencies;
- Performs related work as required.
Possession of a Master's degree in Social Work from an accredited college or university which qualifies for licensure as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and two years of post graduate social work experience in the field of mental health.
Possession of a valid California license as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker as issued by the State Board of Behavioral Science Examiners.Knowledge of:
- The principles of psychiatric social work and psychotherapy;
- Counseling, casework, and other techniques of psychiatric social work;
- Social aspects of mental health and emotional disturbances;
- Theory and practice of community mental health, or alcohol, or drug abuse interventions;
- Community agencies and community resources serving the mentally ill, alcohol and drug abusers, and alcoholism;
- Physical and mental illnesses and their impact on personality.
- Effectively apply psychiatric social work theory and casework skills and psychotherapeutic interventions;
- Do differential diagnosis;
- Develop and implement a treatment program;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Secure and record accurate and pertinent social and personal data;
- Effectively use psychiatric consultation.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.