Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment. SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under general supervision, receive and process requests for police, fire and emergency medical services in high stress situations; answer non-emergency and emergency 9-1-1 phone lines; dispatch and deploy public safety personnel to calls for service; operate various telecommunications equipment. Ability to Work any assigned shift (days, evenings, nights), must be willing to work holidays, weekends and overtime, as needed for scheduling purposes. Perform other assigned duties as required.Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Answers multi-line, 9-11 emergency and non-emergency calls and dispatches and deploys public safety personnel to calls for service.
- Simultaneously listens to and comprehends both telephone and radio traffic often under loud and stressful conditions.
- Operates multi-channel public safety radio system.
- Assists with and record requests for police or fire and emergency medical services from the public and departmental personnel via telephone and radio utilizing a computer-aided dispatch system.
- Communicates effectively, courteously, and clearly in English, verbally and in writing; includes speaking distinctly, responding promptly, and hearing in the normal range to protect the safety of officers and the public.
- Communicates with hearing/speech-impaired citizens by operating specialized teletype device(s).
- Assigns appropriate Public Safety personnel to routine and/or emergency calls for service utilizing a computer-aided dispatch system.
- Provides pre-arrival medical instructions following department prescribed protocol with NAED compliance.
- Documents all activity, locations and statuses in the computer aided dispatch system for public safety personnel, quickly disseminating any additional information.
- Comprehends and applies city ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Monitors National Weather Service.
- Operates City Emergency Warning System and notifies key personnel and other agencies in emergency operation situations.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all documents, radio and phone transmissions and other sensitive information handled through the communications department.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to speak clearly and precisely.
- Analyze and evaluate emergency situations and carry out effective course of action following prescribed procedures.
- Requires the ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Work well under pressure.
- Exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Operate computer terminals for specialized access with various automated data banks.
- Work in a confined area for 8+ hours and remain seated for long periods of time entering data into various computer systems on a constant basis.
- Simultaneously input, retrieve, and maintain information, reading from both computer screens and printouts, and operating multiple keyboards.
- Concentrate on assigned tasks through many distractions.
- Operate wide range of equipment, e.g. door monitors and locks, printers, voice recorder, intercoms, alarm panel, weather monitoring devices, television monitors, etc.
- Ability to consistently arrive at work on time.
- Ability to work holidays, weekends and nights as needed.
- Ability to be called in to work on short notice whenever emergent situations or weather require.
- Ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of stress and change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
High School diploma or GED and at least one (1) year experience in a high public contact that required decision making and problem solving under stressful conditions. Experience in a multi-task environment involving data entry, phones and/or radio communications. Working knowledge of Windows computer system.
Qualified applicants will be required to pass a Communications compatibility and skills testing modules which evaluate data entry/keyboarding speed (minimum 40wpm), multi-tasking, memory recall, map reading, numerical prioritization, reading comprehension, spelling, and sentence clarity.Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must pass a drug screen and background check, driving record check, polygraph, psychological assessment, and medical screen to include hearing test.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License.
- Must be able to work various shifts including nights, holidays, and weekends.
Exert physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work takes place in a relatively safe, secure, and stable environment but is exposed to emergency situations on a consistent basis, with periods where errors can lead to significant physical consequences.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous