DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTHTRANSFER OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTTRPH4846-2 VACANCY INFORMATION
Division of HIV and STD Programs
Los Angeles County has the largest juvenile detention system in the United States. Incarcerated youth often engage in high risk behaviors that put them at significantly higher risk for STDs compared to non-incarcerated youth. DHSP, in partnership with Juvenile Court Health Services, is working to improve the overall sexual and reproductive health of probationary youth and ensure timely and effective treatment for all STD cases, including identified partners, at Juvenile Hall.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide comprehensive STD/HIV case management, counseling and health education services to incarcerated youth in Los Angeles County Juvenile Hall facilities.
- Conduct individual risk assessments and behavioral health surveys to determine needs of incarcerated youth in Los Angeles County Juvenile Hall facilities.
- Disseminate health materials for use in juvenile hall health facility and community, including parents, on topics such as sexual transmitted disease education, and pregnancy prevention.
- Gather program data for review and analysis by DHSP senior management.
- Conduct health education activities such as reproductive health education and sexual health workshops, based on evidence-based curriculum.
- Assist in the review of resource health materials for high-risk adolescents.
- Establish relationships with members of other disciplines within and outside of the Department of Health Services, including Los Angeles Probation Department, Department of Mental Health, Department of Children and Family Services, and community organizations serving high-risk youth.
- Perform community-based field follow-up activities to determine STD status of infected patients and for the provision of clinical and social services.
- Maintain case files, interview records, logs and other project documentation with careful attention to detail.
Requirements MUST BE A COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES EMPLOYEE WHO HOLDS THE PAYROLL TITLE OF HEALTH EDUCATION ASSISTANT.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to:Division of HIV and STD Programs
- Knowledge of HIV/STD prevention, sexual and reproductive health education.
- Strong interview skills.
- Experience working with detained and probationary youth.
- Strong outreach and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Visio.
Management Services - Human Resources Section
600 South Commonwealth Avenue, 10th Floor
Los Angeles, California 90005Phone:
(213) 351-8134 Confidential Fax: