Under general supervision, assists in the supervision of the maintenance of a very large park or is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of a number of small parks and boulevards.Examples of Duties
1.Supervises a moderately large group of workers engaged in cleaning, repairing, and maintaining park areas, parkways, and boulevards.
2.Assigns crews and workers to various tasks.
3.Maintains daily work records.
4.Picks up rubbish and waste paper to keep lawns and grounds clean.
6.Fertilizes, waters, seeds, sods, and rolls lawns.
7.Spades shrub beds.
8.Grades and conditions baseball and football fields, tennis courts, and other recreational facilities.
9.Clears snow from roads, walks, and skating rinks.
10.Sets out and removes park benches and tables.
11.Makes minor repairs to tables, benches, and park equipment.
12.Keeps comfort stations in order.
13.Erects and removes band stands.
14.Ensures that workers have proper tools and supplies.
15.Inspects equipment and tools for proper maintenance and repair.
16.Requisitions tools and supplies.
17.Reports on special activities.Minimum Qualifications
High school graduation or G.E.D.
Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of grounds, lawns, and structures of parks and boulevards, at least one year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.Supplemental InformationKNOWLEDGE OF:
- Methods used in the maintenance of parks and boulevards, including the care of trees, lawns, and shrubs.
- Department work safety standards.
- Observation and attention to detail.
- Tactful interaction with subordinates, the public and others.
- Industry and thoroughness in carrying out work assignments.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Supervise, organize and direct the work of others.
- Use a personal computer and common office software.
- Ensure safety precautions are followed.
Employees will be required to have both of the following credentials. The candidate must possess one credential at the time of certification and obtain the other within 6 months of being hired. Candidates not possessing a State of Michigan Commercial Driver License (CDL) must meet the State of Michigan Driving Eligibility Requirements for application for a CDL at the time of certification.
- Persons in this classification must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan Commercial Driver License with a Group B endorsement or higher with air brakes. The employee must also possess and carry a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate certifying physical fitness for driving in accordance with the State of Michigan Motor Carrier Safety Act-1988.
- Persons in the classification must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certification with category 6.
Candidates considered for placement in this classification may be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation based on the requirements of the positionDISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
Work is typically performed outdoors with exposure to seasonal weather conditions. Work involves frequent bending, lifting, and operating a variety of heavy landscaping and grounds maintenance equipment. Employees in this class are required to wear appropriate safety attire in accordance with departmental and MIOSHA safety regulations.Subjects/Weights
- Interview: 70%
- Evaluation of Training, Experience and Personal Qualification: 30%