Summary WHO MAY APPLY
: This position is open to all qualified candidates This posting may be used to establish a list of qualified candidates for position openings in the following six months. WHERE TO APPLY:
Go tohttp://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Application and supplemental questions available athttp://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
Please also attach a cover letter and resume with your application.WORK LOCATION:
The primary work location is the King Street Center, which is located at 201 South Jackson St., Seattle, WA 98104. Work may also be conducted at the Wastewater Treatment Division's South, West, or Brightwater Treatment Plants.WORK SCHEDULE:
This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not overtime eligible. The workweek is 40 hours, Monday through Friday, from 8AM to 5PM. Alternate work schedules may be approved.OVERVIEW
King County's Wastewater Treatment Division (WTD) is an industry-leading clean water agency serving King County, Washington including the City of Seattle. The Resource Recovery Section of WTD is tasked with ensuring safe, environmentally friendly products produced from an urban renewable resource stream are beneficially used. Products include renewable energy, Loop® biosolids soil amendment and recycled water. Energy efficiency is also viewed as a valuable product of WTD's work. Resource Recovery is seeking an Energy Engineer to fill an integral role in its Energy Program. This position will focus on tracking, modeling and projecting the division's energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. The energy program is responsible for identifying and coordinating energy efficiency efforts for both Capital improvements and Operational enhancements of the wastewater treatment stream. Guiding the program's energy efforts are the King County Strategic Climate Action Plan and WTD's Energy Plan, both focused on improving energy efficient design and operation, as well as to maximize the renewable resources used or captured in the process. This position reports to the Office of Sustainability and Innovation Supervisor.
WTD is committed to the principles ofequity and social justice.
We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce, and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. WTD strives to provide equitable services to residents and businesses across King County. Division VALUES
- Safety:We protect ourselves and others before all other priorities. Safety is a virtue to be instilled in each of us.
- Innovation:We foster a creative environment where employees openly and enthusiastically search for new ways to improve our work.
- Spirit of Service:We reliably and equitably deliver exceptional products and services to our customers and communities all day, every day.
- Empowered Teams:We respect, trust, collaborate and communicate openly - embracing problems and conflict as opportunities to create solutions.
- Communication:We listen to and share with each other timely, accurate and clear information to ensure effective performance of our work.
- Cultivate Mastery:We provide opportunities to encourage each other to reach our highest level of performance within an inclusive, positive, fun work environment.
- Financial Accountability:We are responsible stewards of public dollars.
- Track and model the division's energy use and greenhouse gas emissions and monitor impacts of completed and planned capital projects on WTD's energy use.
- Represent the Resource Recovery section on various planning groups, cross-division teams, and coordinate with other sections on joint projects and planning.
- Conduct or lead energy audits of offsite facilities and facilitate implementation of identified energy efficiency measures.
- Secure utility energy efficiency incentive grants from local utilities when applicable, track status of grants and compile quarterly and annual updates.
- Assist and support tracking division progress toward meeting King County Strategic Climate Action Plan requirements.
- Trend energy usage and identify outliers of WTD's 50+ offsite facilities such as pump stations and regulator stations.
- Provide support to update technical standards and design guidelines for energy efficiency.
- Act as project manager on special projects and analytical studies.
- Provide strategic energy-related advice and data support to management and other internal staff.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in engineering or related technical field and four years of engineering work commensurate with an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) registration is required.Our ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:Functional/Technical Skills:
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; picks up on technical things quickly, can learn new skills and knowledge.Problem Solving:
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.Initiative, Innovation, and Creativity:
Energy and aptitude to originate or initiate action, to think and act without being urged; ability to formulate new, unique ideas and methods, utilizing facts and past experience, and to project future possibilities.Perseverance:
Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.Patience and Peer Relationships:
Is tolerant with people and processes, tries to understand the people and data before making judgements and acting, can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all, encourages collaboration.
The most competitive candidates will be exceptional engineers or analysts with experience in industrial facilities, energy, and technical data analysis. Additionally, they will have the following experiences and qualifications:
- Excel-based data analysis skills and ability to illustrate analysis in effective graphical format
- Success working independently or as a productive and engaged member of a project team
- Ability to experiment to find creative solutions; adaptable to change and able to remain open to new ideas and ways of doing things; customer service oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including ability to effectively interpret technical information for non-technical audiences simply, clearly and concisely
- Skills in comprehending, analyzing and interpreting technical information for targeted audiences
- A valid state of Washington driver's license will be required for travel to field locations where no public transportation services are available.
- Possession of an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification is required. A professional engineer's license or registration as an architect in the state of Washington is desirable.
Supplemental Information SELECTION PROCESS:
Applicants who meet or exceed the required qualifications and demonstrate that they possess the most competitive background in directly related experience, knowledge, and training may be invited to move forward in the selection process. The remaining selection process may include a combination of interviews, testing, and reference checks.UNION REPRESENTATION:
This position is represented by Technical Employees Association (TEA)CONTACT:
Steve Namkung email@example.com Ph:206.477.5485
Closing Date/Time: 10/31/2018 11:59 PM Pacific