General Purpose *** Recruitment open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. ***
Performs a variety of routine and complex technical work in connection with the duty to enforce all of the provisions of the Florida Building Code, Miami-Dade County Code, City Code, and other related codes. Supervision Received and Exercised
This position is classified as a non-exempt, full-time position with a 37.5 hour work-week. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspects new and existing buildings and structures to ensure compliance with the applicable codes and approved plans and specifications.
- Inspects residential and commercial buildings to ensure that they conform to the applicable codes.
- Issues verbal and written notices of code violation and citations for code violations.
- Assists in resolving complex and sensitive customer service issues, either personally, by telephone or in writing.
- Maintains records and documents of customer service issues and resolutions.
- Researches problems and complaints regarding commercial and residential work and code compliance.
- Observes building conditions and issues notices of violations for corrections of violations.
- Attends annual continuing education courses for re-certification.
- Oversees powers and duties as may be delegated by the Building Official.
- Enforces and explains pertinent sections of the Building Code.
- Prepares reports of Presents code violation cases and presents them to the Code Compliance Special master.
- Maintains high ethical, honesty and moral standards.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Building Official and/or Chief Building Inspector.
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Performs other related work as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS REQUIRED
- A High School diploma or a GED equivalent is required, with a Bachelor's degree being strongly preferred, supplemented by five years of related experience.
- Standard certification by the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation as an inspector. Provisional certification will be acceptable for the period allowed prior to obtaining standard certification.
- Must meet the licensing qualifications set forth in Article II Chapter 8, Section 8-21 of the Code of Miami-Dade County for Building Inspector with commercial/residential roofing inspector a plus and have or be able to obtain a certificate from the Miami-Dade County Board of Rules and Appeals.
- Plans Examiner certification is a plus.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper inspection techniques to examine workmanship, methods and materials of construction.
- Extensive knowledge of current codes and regulatory standards governing the state's building construction industry in the respective trade/discipline.
- Extensive knowledge of all functions relevant to the processing and approval of building construction projects in the respective trade/discipline, e.g. plans review, licensing, permitting, inspections.
- Ability to get along with others and work effectively and courteously with the public and fellow workers.
- Ability to detect deviations from plans, regulations and standard construction practices.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, e.g., computer terminals, printers, copy machines, telephone systems, facsimile machines.
- Ability to use computers for data entry.
- Must be fluent in the English language. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
- Must be a non-smoker.
- The minimum requirements may be waived by the City Manager.
Physical Requirements :
- Ability to balance on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; climb, kneel, crawl, crouch, feel, finger, grasp handle; receive information through oral communication; make rational decisions; pull, push, reach; express ideas through speaking accurately/loudly/quickly; use visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal, making general observations of facilities, operating heavy equipment and making visual inspections; and walk from one work site to another.
- Ability to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous