- Under the general direction, to lead, plan, organize and administer the Social Services Agency's Employment and Benefit Services Department.
The Director of Employment and Benefit Services is an executive management position and is primarily responsible for leading the (through subordinate managers and supervisors) employment and benefit services activity in the various district offices of the Social Services Agency.
In addition, this position is responsible for overseeing the Medi-Cal operation of the Agency's Eligibility Program Coordinator Unit activities which pertain to interpreting, developing and implementing public assistance program policy.
Lastly, this position requires the ability to develop and execute strategic and creative programming that ensures the appropriate interface between the benefits and employment service arms of the overall organization.
to download our recruitment brochure.
For more information about the Department of Employment and Benefit Services please see our Annual Report 2017
. FILING PERIOD and APPLICATION PROCEDURE This recruitment will remain open until filled .
It is critical to submit your application as soon as possible.
This recruitment is being conducted through the following Executive Search Firm:Roberts Consulting Group, Inc
PO Box 1127
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Send resumes (email preferred) to
Typical Tasks Typical Management Responsibilities
- Acts on behalf of the Director, Social Services Agency on matters related to the Agency's employment and benefit services;
- Represents the Director at meetings with members of the Board of Supervisors, County agency / department officials, employee organizations, other public and/or private organizations, and members of the public;
- Establishes, maintains, and is responsible for, appropriate employment and benefit services program goals, objectives and performance measures to include the mandates of the CalWorks program and other related programs;
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of the public assistance program managers provides administrative guidance and support to ensure the diverse needs of the SSA clients are met in a timely fashion;
- Responsible for the appropriate interpretation and implementation of State and Federal regulations and policies relative to public assistance programs concerning employment and benefit services;
- Directs and is responsible for the development and implementation of departmental public assistance program policies and procedures and performance standards;
- Coordinates Agency public assistance program activities with other community organizations;
- Confers with the Director and other Agency managers to insure consistency and effectiveness of Agency policies in assigned area;
- Works in partnership with the members of the Social Services Agency executive team to integrate service delivery within the Agency, whenever possible.
- Directs the review of departmental procedures, district office organization, program staffing, facility office space requirements and recommends or initiates appropriate action;
- Develop and maintain partnership with community based organizations as necessary to meet the organizational goals;
- Interprets public benefits and employment policies and programs into performance measures and metrics to ensure state and federal requirements are met;
- May be assigned Disaster Service Worker responsibilities as needed; and
- Performs related duties as required.
Considerable education and experience to demonstrate the ability to perform the stated management responsibilities and, the attainment of the knowledge and abilities listed below.Note:
A qualified candidate would typically possess education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's or higher degree in Social Work, Social or Behavioral Science, Public or Business Administration or a related field and five (5) years of administrative level experience managing public assistance and/or employment services programs.Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of organization, administration, personnel management, labor relations, change management, customer service and budgeting;
- State and Federal laws, regulations and policies pertaining to State and County public assistance programs and other related services;
- Public assistance and social services objectives, principles and methods;
- Diversity issues involved in the operation of a large, complex social services agency;
- Current practices of working in partnership with community agencies and interested individuals;
- Principles of organization and program planning and development;
- Problem solving techniques and reporting requirements common to public assistance agencies;
- Current trends in social services trends and evidence-based practices related to employment and benefit services.
- Perform the overall administration, management, organization and planning of a major public assistance operation and staff in a large, diverse and complex county social services agency;
- Establish and execute a leadership and professional development strategy for staff to ensure optimal customer service and the achievement of state and federal requirements;
- Effectively direct the development and implementation of departmental public assistance and employment services programs policies and procedures;
- Analyze and interpret new and proposed Federal and State legislation, evaluate and prepare recommendations, and implement necessary changes;
- Analyze and evaluate complex program and administrative problems and recommend/implement effective solutions;
- Communicate effectively both in oral and written form;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Supervisors, County Agency/Department heads and staff, State Department of Social Services officials, representatives of employee organizations, outside agencies and the community.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.