Description Note: On September 10, 2018 the title of this recruitment was amended, and on September 27, 2018 to include additional information for current county employees.
Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on August 28, 2018 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The County of San Mateo Health System is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Health Information Systems Analyst- Limited Term
Working in the San Mateo Medical Center, the
successful hirewill be responsible applications system support, maintenance, and modification of departmental and county enterprise-wide software application(s); identifies end user system requirements and evaluates software packages; designs, codes, tests, and documents software applications; trains and assists end users in implementing new applications; and performs related work as required.IS Application Support Analyst (IS ASA) II:
This is the journey-level class in the IS applications Support Analyst series responsible for the maintenance, modification, implementation, and process customization of and training for mission critical, enterprise-wide software application(s), as well as participating in or providing technical direction for assigned initiatives or projects. Responsibilities require the use of tact, discretion, and independent judgment and to have full and thorough knowledge of the concepts, practices, procedures, and policies of assigned function. This classification is distinguished from the IS Senior Applications Support Analyst by the complexity and size of the applications supported and the amount of discretion exercised over problems and resolutions, as well as the latter serves as a technical leader and subject matter expert in specific area(s) and/or is responsible for the daily technical and functional direction of assigned staff.
Positions in the IS Applications Support Analyst class series are flexibly staffed and positions at the II level are normally filled by advancement from the I level requiring two (2) additional years of experience and after gaining the knowledge, skill, and experience which meet the qualifications for and after demonstrating the ability to perform the work of the higher-level class. When filled from the outside, the employee is required to have three (3) years of prior related experience that allows the employee to meet the qualification standards for the II level.
This is a limited term, at-will position.
- Be proficient in SQL database management and related tools;
- Have the ability to research, document and/or interpret application environment diagrams;
- Have knowledge in assessing applications and environments and strategize long-term plans to upgrade systems to prevent end-of-life, end of support, or end-of -warranty risks.
Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan.Information for current county employees:
Current and regular San MateoCounty Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit an application and compete inthe recruitment process.If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HRwill work directly with you and/or your department for options.Please notethat there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
Examples Of Duties
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the functions of the job.
- Individually or as a team member, works on and is responsible for software applications research, development, conversion, installation, and maintenance projects, including planning, organizing, and defining project requirements, methods, and end objectives in consultation with end users; coordinates project activities with team members, other section staff, user representatives, and outside vendors.
- Interviews, analyzes, and documents end user work processes and systems requirements; conducts systems walkthroughs and technical reviews; develops or refines system specifications, including evaluating and testing vendor software packages for conformance with user requirements and priorities.
- Prepares feasibility studies, cost-benefit analysis, product evaluations, requirements specifications, design and other analysis and documentation.
- Designs business processes and workflow strategies for the management, access and retrieval of data. Defines data rules and relationships, and develops methods for quality control of databases.
- Prepares project proposals, reviews and meets with prospective vendors, and assists in product selection. Monitors vendor performance and deliverables to validate invoices and payments.
- Develops and implements automated processes, scripts, triggers, specialized views and reports to respond to user needs.
- Designs methods to import/export data for analysis and performance comparative analysis of data from dissimilar applications.
- Utilizes existing systems and programs to design and code new and modified programs for data processing.
- Resolves and troubleshoots application-related issues, including as-needed 24/7 support.
- Develops and recommends comprehensive standards, policies, procedures and technical documentation.
- Writes and maintains user and technical operating instructions and documentation, and provides training as needed.
- Assists in developing and updating software and environments to optimize performance of relational database systems, client/server applications, and web-applications.
- Consults with staff regarding information technology related issues, needs and services; conducts special research assignments, gathers data, and prepares reports for consideration by management or special committees.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in technology related to County operations; researches, recommends and evaluates vendor solutions and technologies; implements improvements or safeguards.
- Assists in developing and updating the Probation IT Unit run book.
- Assists in testing new hardware/software releases and configurations and releases management to users.
- Occasionally respondafter hours to 24/7 Probation facilities for tier one end-user support or security system outages (routing to contracted vendor).
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Various software packages including word processing, spreadsheet, SQL database and database management, and reporting tools.
- Data processing management and general administration practices and techniques.
- Operating characteristics, capabilities, capacities, and limitations of computer related peripheral equipment.
- Data management theory, principles, and practices and their application to a wide variety of services and programs.
- Recent and on-going developments, current literature, and sources of information related to the operations of the assigned programs.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Customer service and telephone techniques.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
- English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with vendors and County staff.
Additional Qualifications for the IS Application Support Analyst II level:Knowledge of:
- Conduct research on applications issues, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical staff reports.
- Participate in design sessions and process improvement sessions; provide sound recommendations and technical input.
- Learn to code, configure, manage, and maintain assigned system(s) and integrate to meet business needs independently without vendor support.
- Research and develop cost-effective technical system improvements.
- Prepare clear and concise program documentation, user procedures, reports of work performed, and other written materials.
- Analyze and troubleshoot any software issues and use logic to solve the problem.
- Establish and maintain a software system update and maintenance schedule.
- Write system procedures.
- Deal tactfully with the customers and staff in providing information, answering questions, and providing customer service.
- Learn and understand the organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Learn, interpret, and apply applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of computer systems management, analysis, design, and maintenance.
- Techniques and methods of system evaluation, implementation, and documentation.
- The organization, operation, and functions of the department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities and to determine appropriate point of escalation.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
Education and Experience:
- Code, configure, manage, and maintain assigned system(s) and integrate to meet business needs independently without vendor support.
- Conduct complex research projects on a wide variety of software issues, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical staff reports.
- Lead focus groups or working sessions to establish new processes or technical design for improvement.
- Coordinate and plan applications development, enhancement, and maintenance projects.
- Research, develop, and recommend cost-effective technical system improvements.
- Implement comprehensive computer operations-related projects and training programs.
- Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:Education:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information systems, computer science, or related field. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years.Experience:
IS Applications Support Analyst I: One (1) year of experience in applications analysis, design, and development.
IS Applications Support Analyst II: Two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in applications analysis, design, and development.Physical Demands:
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Standing in and walking between work areas is frequently required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification frequently bend, stoop, kneel, and reach to perform assigned duties, as well as push and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds with the use of proper equipment.Environmental Elements:
Employees work in an office environment with moderate levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff when providing applications system support.
Application/Examination This is a Limited Term recruitment.Anyone may apply.
Thorough and detailed responses to the supplementalquestions must be submitted in addition to the standard San Mateo County employment application. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.The department will screen application materials, and they will contact qualified candidates directly for a departmental interview.IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the"Apply Online"
above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttp://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time.TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Date for Filing
: ContinuousDepartmental Interviews
: TBDApply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Analyst: Wendy Young (08142018) (IS Applications Support Analyst II - V261)