Under the direction of the Senior Locomotive Mechanic, a Locomotive Mechanic will perform skilled work in the maintenance and repair of diesel-powered railroad locomotives. You will inspect, service and maintain diesel locomotives in accordance with federal and company regulations, diagnose diesel engine malfunctions and make indicated repairs using hand tools, measuring instruments and machine tools. Operate locomotives and locomotive consists on designated shop tracks, perform on ground tasks for locomotive movement such as throwing switches. May be required to qualify as a shop service locomotive engineer in accordance with FRA standards. Perform some service and repair of automotive equipment used in connection with railway operations.
Some of the work involved includes, but is not limited to:
- Perform daily (24 hour) locomotive inspections, including air brake cleaning and testing in accordance with FRA regulations and at other intervals in accordance with company policy;
- Perform periodic services on locomotives in accordance with company policy that include: changing oil, turbo inspection, fueling, changing engine air and air compressor filters, greasing couplings, fittings, traction motor gears, electrical testing and repair;
- Replace locomotive and diesel engine components including couplers, draft gear assemblies, gear cases, cylinder assemblies and heating equipment;
- Diagnose malfunctions in diesel engines, air equipment, trucks or other components in order to determine nature of the problem and the needed repair or replacement;
- Must be knowledgeable in the handling of hazardous and non-hazardous waste products and materials;
- Perform daily services of locomotive consists: fuel, water, lubricants and oils; wipe down and clean unit/windows; check supplies and drinking water, link and unlink distributive power, perform periodic and annual inspections and understand FRA regulations pertaining to inspections.
High school graduation or equivalent AND
an equivalent combination of two years of experience in a locomotive shop, including training in the repair and servicing of diesel locomotives under Federal Railroad Administration regulations, OR
completion of a recognized diesel/heavy equipment mechanic apprenticeship or vocational program.
Experience in maintaining, repairing or rebuilding Electro Motive Diesel (EMD) engines andKnowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software (Word, Excel and Outlook)are highly desired.LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Washington State driver's license. Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) and forklift card are required prior to completion of probation with maintenance thereafter.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires moving heavy objects (up to 100 pounds), pushing, ascending and descending ladders and locomotives; working in adverse weather conditions; working around locomotive engines, walking on level or uneven ground 100% of time. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a resumeand cover letter
to their application. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their experience and training, as stated in their responses to the supplemental questions, evaluated and scored by an evaluation committee. Only the information provided in the supplemental questions responses will be evaluated and scored. It is each applicant's responsibility to give detailed responses to each question as required. Applicants who receive a passing score in the evaluation will be placed on the eligible list for hiring consideration.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and IAM District Lodge 160. Appointment is subject to passing a background check, pre-employment medical examination and USDOTFRA drug screen. New employees must successfully complete a 125-shift probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Closing Date/Time: 2/11/2019 5:00 PM Pacific