The PositionThe final filing date for this exam has been revised. Please note the new final filing date is 5:00 p.m. on January8, 2020.
This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are 5:00 pm on:7/20/20, 9/21/20
The Senior Sheriff's Records Specialist class performs complex specialized law enforcement clerical support, and/or performs lead duties including, but not limited to, the following: criminal records, warrants, civil process, and inmate booking and processing. This class is used strictly in the Sheriff's Department. Positions in this class vary in actual duties performed depending on the needs of the specific division assigned.Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Methods of training and assigning work to lower-level employees.
- Customer service techniques for dealing with people under difficult and/or confrontational situations.
- Advanced knowledge of clerical, legal, and law enforcement record keeping practices and procedures.
- Law enforcement and legal terminology.
- Considerable knowledge of California statutes relating to civil and criminal record keeping procedures and codes, such as California Public Information Act; Code of Civil Procedure; Evidence Code; Penal Code; Vehicle Code; Civil Code; and other regulations relating to law enforcement and court clerical procedures.
- Legal and law enforcement forms.
- Proper English grammar, spelling, and usage.
- Basic math and accounting skills to perform cashiering duties and other calculations.
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Provideleadworkerdirection to staff; schedule, assign, and review work to meet established time requirements and guidelines.
- Train and cross-train subordinates.
- Work independently and carry out assignments with minimal supervision.
- Understand, explain, and apply complex judicial and law enforcement terminology, codes, and procedures in relation to record keeping and case files.
- Review legal and law enforcement documents for correctness, completeness and conformance with requirements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Operate modern office equipment.
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance.
Type at a rate of not less than 25 net words per minute from clear copy.AndEither
: One year of experience in the class of Sheriff's Records Specialist (Level II) in Sacramento County service.Or
: Two years of experience performing records management clerical duties in a law enforcement agency or court setting.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirementsNote:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice. Typing Certificate Requirements can be found by Clicking Here or by obtaining the requirements at our office.Special Requirements
Background/Criminal History : Candidates will need to pass a security clearance investigation conducted by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.
Hours of Work : Incumbents must be willing to work irregular hours (shifts), holidays, and weekends.
Working Conditions : Incumbents may be assigned to a detention / correctional facility (jail) in proximity of inmates, or a division may have contact with inmates.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification issix (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 9/21/2020 5:00 PM Pacific