Y5092B FIRST DAY OF FILING:
October 14, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job Opportunity REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.DEFINITION:
Assists licensed medical staff in the examination, treatment, and care of patients at an outpatient clinic, under the supervision of a physician.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class work under the technical guidance of a physician and work as a member of a medical team assisting physicians, nurses and physician assistants by providing basic administrative, clerical, and technical supportive services to patient care in an outpatient clinic. These positions are characterized by the performance of various front and back clinic office duties and patient care services that do not require diagnosis, treatment, or tasks that are invasive or that require a medical evaluation or assessment. Incumbents work in accordance with the department's standardized procedures and scope of practice and training protocols established by the State under the Medical Board of California.
Essential Job Functions
Following specific procedures, scope of practice, and instructions from licensed medical staff:
- Prepares patients for examination procedures, including escorting patients to exam rooms; interviewing patients to obtain basic medical information; recording patient's medical history; and taking vital signs, weight, and height.
- Prepares treatment rooms, including setting equipment based on the procedure or purpose of examination and keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Assists physicians with procedures, such as preparing and handing instruments/materials and shaving and disinfecting treatment sites.
- Performs venipuncture or skin puncture to draw blood; administers limited intradermal subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections; performs skin tests; and administers medication by inhalation, orally, sublingually, topically, vaginally, or rectally.
- Performs non-invasive screening tests, including electrocardiogram, electroencephalogram, and plethysmography.
- Collects specimens that are non-invasive in nature (i.e., urine, sputum, semen, and stool), logs the specimens, and prepares them for testing.
- Performs simple laboratory tests that are typically performed in a medical office.
- Applies and removes bandages and dressings; applies orthopedic appliances; removes casts, splints, and other external devices; select and adjust crutches; removes sutures or staples from superficial incisions or lacerations; performs ear lavage; and other non-invasive procedures.
- As authorized, provides information and instruction to patients. Assists in educating, teaching, and encouraging the development of basic health habits and preventive care.
- Greets patients at reception desk or counter, answers phones, schedules appointments, completes appropriate forms or records, files and retrieves documents, and assists patients in ambulation and transfers.
- Coordinates and maintains inventory control for medical and laboratory supplies and materials to ensure efficient flow of operations. Stocks and orders supplies as necessary.
- Assists with care coordination tasks and activities.
- Administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in an emergency.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Successful completion of a Medical Assistant training program with administrative and clinical assignments issued by an accredited* institution authorized to provide training pursuant to the standards established by the Medical Board of California. -AND-
2. A current and valid Medical Assistant Certification in administrative and clinical assignments from a certifying organization approved by the Medical Board of California.**-AND-
3. Current and valid CPR Certification issued by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation may be required when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS:
3 - Moderate. Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*The following websites will be used to verify accreditation information: http://www.ed.gov/ and http://www.bppe.ca.gov/
**The certifying organizations approved by the Medical Board of California can be found at the following website:
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Licensees/Physicians and Surgeons/Medical Assistants/Certifying Agencies.aspx DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Credit will be given to those applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Paid or unpaid administrative experience in the front of a medical doctor's office. ***
- Paid or unpaid clinical experience in the back of a medical doctor's office.***
***Administrative experience in the front of a medical doctor's office includes: utilizing office computer to enter and retrieve patient data, transferring from paper charts to Electronic Medical Record (EMR); answering multi-line phones; scheduling appointments; filing/organizing; entering charges into billing system and following-up on unpaid claims. Clinical experience in the back of a medical doctor's office includes: prioritizing patient-care; preparing patients for doctor's examinations including vital signs, weight, chief complaints, recording patients allergies and medications; preparing set-up for procedures, blood draws, administer injections and obtain specimen, perform EKG; order labs; and maintains and stocks patient rooms and supplies. Credit will not be given to those who are performing in a training capacity such as work performed during a Medical Assistant (MA) training program.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an evaluation of training and experience based upon application information and desirable qualifications weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Lpascual@dhs.lacounty.gov to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on this examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.
No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.AVAILABLE SHIFT
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Apply online by clicking the green "APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS
. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTE:
Please note that ALL
information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. FALSIFICATION
of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION
or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
: Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of the required diploma, certificate, or official transcript to their application at the time of filing or provide to the exam analyst within 15 calendar days from the application filing date. If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Luz Pascual at email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include exam number and exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Luz Pascual, Exam Analyst