The PositionThis is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 9/8/20, 10/13/20, 11/17/20, 12/15/20
Nurse Practitioners provide a range of health care services involving diagnosis, assessment, treatment, and clinical management of patients in a public health center or a public health/field services program; such services include physical examinations, laboratory and screening tests, therapeutic treatments, education, counseling, referral, and clinical duties customarily performed by physicians. Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Professional principles, procedures, and techniques of nurse practitioners
- State of California laws and regulations on nursing, and nurse practitioner practices
- Symptoms and normal course of acute and chronic illnesses, and their treatment
- Family planning methods
- Medical and health care for pregnant women
- Normal growth and development, and common illnesses of infants and children
- Standard medical record-keeping
- Procedures, techniques, and tests for conducting comprehensive physical examinations
- Techniques and interpretations of standard laboratory tests, X-rays, and basic diagnostic procedures
- Substance abuse symptoms and intervention techniques
- Mental and emotional illness symptoms and intervention techniques
- Medications commonly used for a wide variety of medical conditions, and their effects and contraindications
- Symptoms, prevention, reporting requirements, and treatment of child and adult abuse and neglect
- Normal and abnormal family dynamics
- Community resources for medical care, mental health care, and social services
- Differing cultural, religious, social, and economic factors affecting community medical care clients
- Proper handling and administering of medications
- Proper handling of laboratory samples and contaminated items
- Causes, control, detection, prevention, and treatment of common communicable diseases including sexually transmitted diseases
- Techniques of patient and family counseling
- Techniques of interviewing
- Techniques of conducting training sessions
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Effectively communicate with clients of various social, cultural, economic, and education backgrounds
- Work cooperatively with other medical care providers
- Effectively intervene in cases of mental illness, substance abuse, and adult/child abuse and neglect
- Effectively train others
- Gain cooperation of patients in treating communicable and environmentally-based illnesses
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Accurately evaluate and diagnose medical conditions, including obtaining and assessing medical histories
- Work independently and apply sound medical judgement and department protocols in treatment, treatment planning, and referrals to physicians
- Recognize and take immediate action in emergency and immediate need cases
- Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing
Possession of a current valid license as a registered nurse and
a Nurse Practitioner certification issued by the State of California. Failure to maintain such a license and certification may be cause for disciplinary actions accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
Some positions in this class may require possession of a current California driver's license, Class III (now C) or higher. Failure to maintain such a license may be cause for disciplinary actions accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.
Some positions in this class may require a nurse practitioner certification with specialization as a Family Nurse Practitioner, Pediatrics Nurse Practitioner, Adult Nurse Practitioner, or Obstetrical-gynecological Nurse Practitioner.
The Civil Service Commission approved the use of selective certification for Nurse Practitioner specialties May 12, 1989.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous