The PositionThere is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:2/20/20, 5/21/20, 8/20/20, 11/19/20
Supervising Public Health Nurses work under general administrative supervision of a higher-level health program manager, and receive medical direction as needed from a physician or higher-level nursing manager such as the designated head of public health nursing.
The focus of duties is on supervising, planning, organizing and reviewing the operations, program, and personnel of a public health field office staffed by professional nurses, health workers and others. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Basic principles and practices of supervision and personnel management
- Professional public health nursing principles, procedures and techniques
- State of California laws and regulations on nursing practices
- Normal course of illnesses and disabilities, and their treatment
- Family planning methods
- Pre-natal, pregnancy and post-natal nutrition and medical care
- Infant and child care, growth, and development, including common illnesses
- Case management techniques and the care and treatment of high risk, physically impaired and developmentally disabled infants and children
- Substance abuse symptoms and intervention techniques
- Mental illness symptoms and intervention techniques
- Symptoms, prevention, reporting requirements and treatment of child and adult abuse and neglect
- Normal and abnormal family dynamics
- Techniques of planning, evaluating, teacher-training, organizing and conducting classes and training sessions on a variety of health subjects
- Individual and group counseling techniques applicable to public health nursing
- Common public and community health care resources
- Social and economic factors influencing individual and community health
- Differing cultural, religious and social attitudes about hygiene, family planning, child care, and health treatment
- Proper handling and administering of biologicals
- Proper handling of contaminated items; causes, control, detection, prevention and treatment of common communicable diseases, environmentally based illnesses, sexually transmitted diseases, and food and water-borne illnesses
- Procedures for planning and conducting epidemiological investigations
- Standard medical record-keeping
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Supervise and train employees
- Effectively recommend employee selections, promotions, status changes and other personnel actions
- Plan, organize and control work of staff
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for work unit in accordance with department goals, policies and procedures
- Learn, comply with, and ensure staff compliance with laws, rules, regulations, protocols, and procedures, including security requirements, applicable to the work unit
- Effectively communicate with and gain the cooperation of clients, and potential clients, of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Work cooperatively with other health and social service providers
- Determine and apply effective means of intervening in cases of mental illness and substance abuse
- Effectively plan, organize, conduct, and participate in in-service education and training programs
- Effectively demonstrate and teach care of infants, children, the disabled and chronically ill to individuals in their homes
- Effectively teach public group classes
- Gain cooperation of patients and other individuals in investigating and treating communicable diseases and environmentally-based illnesses
- Accurately evaluate cases to determine caseload priorities
- Maintain patient confidentiality
One year of experience as a Senior Public Health Nurse in Sacramento County service.Or:
Two years of experience as a Public Health Nurse in Sacramento County Service.Or:
Three years of experience as a licensed/certified public health nurse performing public health nursing duties.Notes:
- Experience requirements are stated as full-time work; to convert part-time to full-time equivalency; 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month.
- Required experience may be paid or unpaid.
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.
License / Certificate / Registration Requirements: All persons appointed to the class of Supervising Public Health Nurse:
- Must possess and maintain a current Registered Nurse License and Public Health Nurse Certificate issued by the State of California.
- Must possess and maintain a current California Driver's License, Class C or higher.
- Will be required to have, or obtain, and maintain a valid CPR Certificate.
: Failure to maintain required licenses / certificates may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission rules.
Other Requirements: Some positions in this class may require the ability to communicate fluently in a language other than English, in addition to English.Probationary Period:
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous