Essential Functions: Please click here to review the essential functions of the position on the job description link prior to applying for the position.
This job posting was last updated on August 19, 2020 Click here to read the job flyer.SALARY (UPDATED) :
- up to $79,980 annually (salary range: $62,676 - $79,980
*Due to recent budget reductions, employees in these classifications are required to furlough 104 hours between June 21, 2020 and July 20, 2021. New employees will have their required furlough hours prorated based on hire date.
*Effective July 2022: 2% Salary Increase will be applied.
Under general supervision, to perform skilled work in receiving incoming calls at the City's Communications Operations Center, including requests for police/fire protection services or information, and dispatching of necessary units and equipment for emergency service through the use of telephone, radio, or other communications equipment; and performs related duties as required. CLASS CHARACTERISTICS:
This is the entry level position in the Communications Officer series. Incumbents of this class are trained in department policies, procedures and systems by higher level communications staff. An employee in this class must be knowledgeable of local government operations, police/fire protection system, and geographical layout of the City. Although work is performed within established policies and procedures, it requires exercise of sound judgment in emergency situations. Supervision and assignments are received from a superior both orally and in writing. Work is reviewed by communications supervisors through observation, monitoring of operations, and review of records and reports. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Please click here
to review a list of automatic background disqualifiers for this position. You must review this information before submitting an application.
All applicants must complete an online City application and supplemental questionnaire. This recruitment may close at any time without notice, therefore prompt application is encouraged.
- THE NEXT APPLICATION REVIEW DATES ARE: JULY 31, 2020 AND AUGUST, 31,2020.
Candidates are requested to provide specific information on their education and experience as it relates to the position. Based upon the information presented on the application, a limited number of candidates who possess qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process. The selection process may include, but is not limited to, the following components: written examination or exercise, physical examination, practical exercise and interview evaluation. Please notify the Human Resources Division 72 hours in advance of the test date if you have a disability which requires accommodation for the testing process.
All employment offers made by the City are contingent upon establishing proof of a prospective candidate's legal authorization to work in the United States and successfully passing all components of the pre-employment process which may include, but is not limited to: comprehensive background investigation, criminal history check (Live scan fingerprint check), polygraph examination, post-offer psychological evaluation and post-offer medical evaluation (may include drug screen).ADDITIONAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER:
In addition to completing an online City application and supplemental questionnaire, applicants must also submit the following documents:
** Please do not submit any other documents other than what is listed above (i.e., resume, etc.), as they will not be accepted or reviewed in the application process. Do not submit any documents until you have submitted your online application.
- A typing certificate (verifying a speed of 40 wpm corrected or better) must be submitted to the Human Resources Division. Please Click Here for typing certificate requirements and instructions.
- Proof of successfully passing the POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery (written exam) with a total T-Score of 48 or higher within the last 12 months (copy of your scores on the issuing agency's letterhead). If you have not taken the test, you may sign up to the test at Golden West College. Please Click Here for more information. Please note that testing is currently suspended. You may submit your application now and when testing is reestablished, you can take it at that time.
- Applicants who are Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certified must submit a copy of their Public Safety Dispatcher Certificate. Note: this Certificate is not the same as the one obtained from the POST Basic Course, rather it is awarded after completing probation as a full-time dispatcher at a POST participating agency. Applicants may be eligible to have the written exam waived.
- Applicants who have completed the POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Course must submit a copy of their Certificate of Completion.
The above documents(s) can be faxed, mailed, or personally delivered to:
City of Costa Mesa
Attn: Human Resources Division
77 Fair Drive
P.O. Box 1200
Costa Mesa, CA 92628-1200
Fax (714) 754-4943 TO BE CONSIDERED, THE DOCUMENTS LISTED ABOVE MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE HUMAN RESOURCES DIVISION BY THE NEXT APPLICATION REVIEW DATES JULY 31, 2020 AND AUGUST 31, 2020.
Note: The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained within may be modified or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous