Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general supervision, to safeguard swimming pool/aquatic center patrons in various water areas and depths of aquatic facilities, and to ensure proper use of pool area. Positions areavailable at the following aquatic centers and pools :
Ashworth; Birdland; Nahas; Northwest and Teachout.Approximate employment duration
: Approximately 40 hours per week. Assigned work hours between8:00 AM and 11:00 PM including weekends and holidays from May-September. Deadline :
Applications areaccepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions.Note
: Hiring preference is given to applicants having the ability to work consistently throughout the season.Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Must be 15 years of age and able to secure a work permit.
- Candidates are required to possess a valid and current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification and CPRCertificationor have the ability to obtain required certifications by employment startdate.
- Certifications may be obtained through the American Red Cross andmust be valid through September 10, 2020 .
- Candidates accepting a conditional offer of employment as a Lifeguard with the City of Des Moines will be offered the opportunity to take the Lifeguard training class through the City of Des Moines (class datesTBD). The registration fee will be waived for those who work as a Lifeguard for the City of Des Moines through August 16, 2020. Those who do not work as a Lifeguard for the City of Des Moines through August 16, 2020 will be required to pay a pro-rated amount for the certification training. Alternatively, lifeguard classes are offered year round throughout the community.
Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks. Passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screenare required prior to hire.Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Enforces all rules and regulations regarding public health and safety;
- Warns patrons against hazardous practices and instructs patrons on facility rules;
- Assists persons in distress by applying lifeguarding techniques and performing water rescues;
- Applies First Aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation as needed. Maintains constant watch for accidents or potential accidents or hazards in all water areas and depths of aquatic facilities;
- Possess and utilize superior customer service skills;
- Assists with maintenance work on or around the aquatic facilities;
- Performs cleaning duties relative to opening, operating, and closing the facilities as well as vacuuming the pool, cleaning floors, counters, restrooms, decks and landscaped areas;
- Lifeguards may be required to work before or after public swimming hours for special aquatic programs or facility rentals.
Closing Date/Time: 6/8/2020 5:00 PM Central