Associate Director of Logistical & Facilities Services (Administrator II)MB2019-ED2583
Apply Today! Open until filled. Application Screening Begins: January 19. 2019
Powered by an inspiring Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU
) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Services and Operations, the Associate Director provides coordination and management oversight of facilities services such as custodial, landscaping, pest control, waste management services, and enhanced lease agreements to ensure standards and compliance are consistent with University administrative policies, procedures, and contract terms and agreements. The incumbent also provides direct supervision and management of the Shipping and Receiving unit which includes the Mailroom Operations, Special Events and Moving Services, and Warehouse Operations. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
Other Functions :
- Supervision, Leadership and Coordination of Work. Work collaboratively with the departmental administrators to develop policies and procedures to meet customer expectations. Collaborates with, and assist Campus Planning and Development, University Corporation, Auxiliary Organizations, Facilities Services and Operations, and other university departments/constituencies regarding requirements, scope of work, level of service, and guidelines and standards. Plans specific work assignments, and ensuring that all aspects of the assignments are supported, including work schedules, equipment, supplies and materials to operate in the most efficient and effective manner. Supervises personnel, conducts performance evaluations, inspects completed work, and makes commendations and recommendations for counseling or reprimand.
- Manages the daily operations of Shipping and Receiving and Moving Services. Effectively communicates and coordinates activities in order to eliminate redundant functions and to ensure all requirements are met. Coordinates custodial and landscaping services for scheduled special events, including Residential Halls year-end cleaning services for Conference and Events and cleaning services for Fall semester student move-in.
- Manages the campus custodial and waste management service contracts. Monitor contractor's performance, prepare modifications, and determine the necessary course of action to resolve issues affecting contract performance. Evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of the services, and makes recommendations for effective utilization of resources to the contract service representative. Meets daily with the contract service representative to review service program effectiveness, needs, and service requests.
- Manages the campus landscape and pest control service contracts, including a variety of synthetic and natural turf athletics fields and facilities. Evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of the services, and makes recommendations for effective utilization of resources to the contract service representative. Meets daily with the contract service representative to review service program effectiveness, needs, and service requests.
- Works with various constituencies to improve services and resolve problems; maintains continuing contact with faculty, staff, students, and campus administrators to identify needs and expectations, coordinates services and support, and determines the level of customer satisfaction with the services provided. Works with and through other people to accomplish the objectives of the organization and its members and represents the department to all levels of the campus.
- Responsible for assessing issues and situations, defining goals and objectives, developing strategies to achieve the goals and objectives, determining the required resources, organizing, directing, and controlling the activities required to attain the goals, and motivating staff to achieve results.
- Responsible for a thorough and accurate accounting of time and materials; completion of routine work assignments and performance of additional duties as assigned; consistently meeting university needs in a timely and professional manner; follow-up on projects or tasks to ensure that all items are completed to the satisfaction of upper management; maintains responsible attendance records, punctuality and consistent meeting of deadlines; and a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the department and campus community.
- Continuously promotes a customer-oriented environment and promotes and maintains a safe working environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Participates in university task forces and special projects as required.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience of effective supervisory and leadership skills directing and managing a diverse workforce involved in the delivery of logistical services (mail distribution, shipping and receiving, material management, etc.).
Experience with recordkeeping, tracking, labeling and storage, warehousing, stocking and distribution of materials and supplies. Demonstrated experience and effective supervisory and leadership skills in directing and managing a diverse workforce involved in the delivery of business services (e.g. mail distribution, shipping and receiving, material management, etc.). Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of individuals at all levels in the organization. Demonstrate drive and initiative, be self-confident, and able to work with minimum supervision. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business, public administration, or related field, and/or the equivalent training and administrative work experience involving the study, analysis, evaluation, development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices or programs with a minimum of three years related experience in management or supervision. Additional experience which has demonstrated the requisite skills and abilities may be substituted for the equivalent education on a year-for-year basis. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
10 years of progressively responsible supervisory or managerial experience of a large warehouse, shipping and receiving department, mail center, or similar environment, preferably in a college or university setting. Experience in a collective bargaining environment including conflict resolution and grievance administration. Experience developing request for proposals and working with contract service vendors. Experience which involves the development and contract management of custodial, grounds maintenance, waste management, and/or pest control services. Have a positive attitude, an active, energetic mind, and a leadership style that is characterized by highly ethical practices and a commitment to diversity, openness, flexibility, integrity, and kindness. Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Management System or equivalent student information system; Microsoft Office Professional Suite, and Google mail and calendaring programs. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and will be required to participate in annual training and to immediately forward to the Clery Director all reports of crimes brought to their attention pursuant to the Clery Act and California State Education Code, Chapter 15.5, of the Donahue Higher Education Act, Section 67380.
- This position is a designated position in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- This position has been designed as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access and access to controlled or hazardous substances.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. SALARY :
Commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a management level position with an attractive benefits package, which includes: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; an excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance; long term disability coverage; life insurance; educational incentives; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For further information, please visit: Management Personnel Plan
. The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing
. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library
). All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled