Performs general duty police work in the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Lateral Police Officers start at $55,269.36 - $75,418.56 annually, depending on experience.
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Exercises powers of arrest and control; defends self and uses force and deadly force; enforces motor vehicle laws; operates vehicle under emergency conditions and provides emergency assistance; responds to crime scenes and performs criminal investigations; participates in special operations.
- Patrols a designated area on foot or in a radio and computer equipped vehicle to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Answers calls and investigates complaints involving accidents, fires, misdemeanors and felonies; investigates suspicious activities. Administers first aid, interviews witnesses, gathers information and evidence, makes arrests, prepares reports, testifies as witness in court.
- May be assigned, on a permanent or shift basis, to such specialized technical or administrative duties as: working police desk, maintenance of criminal records, license inspection, photographic and identification work, traffic safety training, field training, radio operation, etc. Advises public on laws and ordinances, provides general information and otherwise assists the public.
- Performs related work as required.
NOTE: Before applying, please read theCity of Spokane Police Department Hiring Standards
Open Entry Requirements:
(Open entry applicants must meet all requirements when they apply.)
- Education :Completion of 45 quarter or 30 semester credit hours of course work from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of C or 2.0, which includes at least 5 quarter or 3 semester credit hours of college English.
- Experience :Two years of sworn, non-military, patrol officer experience.
- Licenses : Applicants must possess a state-issued Basic Law Enforcement certificate and a valid driver's license.
NOTE: Two additional years of experience as a police officer may be substituted for the college education requirement.
- Applicants must be currently employed as a law enforcement officer or have left such employment in good standing, and have a valid law enforcement commission at the time of hire.
- Candidates must be 20 years of age at the time of application and 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be within the normal weight range for height.
- Physical requirements for this position, including eyesight, hearing, and other physical abilities are consistent with state law and guidelines.
- All successful candidates who have been offered a position will be required to pass a post-offer physical and psychological examination prior to appointment.
- A police record may be grounds for rejection.
NOTE: Applicants from states other than Washington must have the ability to obtain Basic or Equivalency Law Enforcement certification by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission within the probationary period.
EXAMINATION DETAILSRecruitment for this job classification is open until further notice. You must complete both the online application and the Training and Evaluation examination (T&E), in order to be eligible for hiring by City of Spokane.
T&E Examination Details:
The Training and Experience examination with instructions will be emailed out via a link from FastTest (email@example.com) upon review of the applicant's minimum qualifications. You will have two weeks to complete the examination. The T&E has a scoring weight of 100%.
- Responses to your T&E questions should be consistent with the information given in your application details.
- Answers are subject to verification.
- Failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score; therefore, it is advantageous for you to provide a full and complete response to each examination question.
- Resumes or questionnaires uploaded as attachments will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question online.
- "See Resume" or "See Above", etc., are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
Upon request, at time of application, City of Spokane will provide alternative accessible tests to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.