Description Please read the entire job announcement to ensure your application packet is complete.
This position under direct supervision, performs a variety of civilian field and office law enforcement work in direct support of safety and non-safety personnel.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this trainee-level, non-safety position work on a part-time/as needed basis while attending an accredited college toward earning their Associates of Arts degree in Criminal Justice or a related field.Police Cadets who successfully obtain said degree or 60 semester / 90 quarter units in Criminal Justice or related field may
attend, at the Department's expense, a police academy with the ultimate goal of earning a Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) certificate.Those who do not obtain the educational requirements within three years will be terminated.
This class is distinguished from uniformed safety police-related classes by their designation and the responsibilities and authorities associated with a safety peace officer designation under the laws of the State of California.
The successful candidate will possess the following highly desirable attributes: detail oriented; astute; proactive; responsive; timely; accurate; excellent oral and written communication to internal and external constituents; collaborative approach; solution oriented; safety conscious; trustworthy and ethical.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND GIVEN
Examples of Duties The following duties are considered essential to the Police Cadet class:
- Receives direct supervision from supervisory and management staff
Cadet Rotations and Assignments:
- Take police reports for crimes such as bicycle theft, automobile theft, burglary or similar cold complaints;
- Marks and arranges for the towing of abandoned vehicles;
- Enforces parking regulations by issuing traffic citations;
- Performs traffic and pedestrian control as directed;
- Participates in crime prevention activities such as neighborhood watch meetings, school and community group presentations, and Police Department building tours;
- Maintains records and retrieves information;
- Attends weekend and/or evening training sessions;
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Typical Qualifications Knowledge of :
- Abandoned Vehicles;
- Beat Health: North, Central, South;
- City Hall;
- Downtown Patrol;
- Prisoner Transport;
- School Security;
- Subpoena Service
- Techniques for dealing with the public in a tactful, but firm, manner;
- Proper English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Learn the organization and functions of a Police Department;
- Learn and apply applicable laws, ordinances, policies, practices and methods;
- Work courteously with the general public on the telephone and in person;
- Deal with the public firmly, courteously, and tactfully;
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the; course of work
- Possess a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent with a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking a minimum of 12 semester / 18 quarter units toward earning an Associate of Arts degree in Criminal Justice or a related field while maintaining a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- Possess a valid California driver's license
- Between 18 and 23 years old at the time of application
- Be not less than 20/100 uncorrected or corrected to 20/30 with no color deficiencies
- Eligible for U.S. citizenship at the time of appointment
- No felony convictions
- No misdemeanor convictions which mandate weapons prohibitions
Supplemental Information Step 1: Application Submittal
- Working conditions may include, but are not limited to: running, jumping, walking, kneeling, crouching or crawling, subduing uncooperative individuals, chasing fleeing subjects, physically moving equipment and incapacitated or deceased persons, climbing stairs/ladders, going over obstacles, performing life-saving and rescue procedures, standing, sitting, or remaining in fixed positions for extended periods of time, and operating Department equipment and vehicles.
- Function effectively while confronted with personal danger, including, but not limited to: exposure to armed/dangerous persons, dangerous animals, bodily fluids, communicable diseases, fumes, hazards of emergency driving, hazards associated with traffic control and working in and near traffic, and natural and man-made disasters.
This is a continuous recruitment. The Police Cadet position will remain open until positions are filled. To be considered, applicants must submita completed on-line City of Vallejo application and the supplemental questionnaire. Candidates can complete the online employment application at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/vallejo
or go to the City of Vallejo website; click on Human Resources Department then, click on"Employment Opportunities"
If you have problems creating a user account or submitting your online application, please contact governmentjobs.com applicant support directly at 855-524-5627. *** IMPORTANT :
Step 2: Applicant Screening and Supplemental Questions Assessment:
- Incomplete applications and/or supplemental questions will not be given further consideration.
- Where applicable, responses must include the names of the employers; dates employed; your job titles; duties performed; and the job titles of those supervised.
- A resume cannot be substitutedfor any portion of the application process (i.e., the official applicationand responses to the supplemental questions).
Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications:
Pool of Candidates:
- Education, GPA of 2.0 or higher;
- College enrollment;
- Valid California driver license;
- Criminal history;
- Responses to supplemental questions will be assessed.
The City reserves the right to limit the number of candidates to those determined to be thebestqualified based upon all requested application materials, including training and experience and responses to supplemental questions. Step 3: Hiring Process:
Prior to hire, the selected candidate will be required to pass the following:
- Oral Interview;
- Polygraph testing;
- Background investigation;
- Pre-employment medical, including drug screening;
- Psychological evaluation.
- Provide proof of the legal right to work in the United States.
The City of Vallejo is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process may contact Human Resources Department. Please contactRobin Tilleyat (707)649-4852 or 648-4363 or at robin.tilley @cityofvallejo.net upon submittal of your online application . Disaster Service Workers
All City of Vallejo ("City") employees are designated Disaster Service Workers ("DSW") through state law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all DSW- related training as assigned and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE
) - The City of Vallejo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Vallejo to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factors.
Note: The provisions in this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.