LA COUNTY LIBRARYEXAM NUMBER
Q8341MFIRST DAY OF FILING
DECEMBER 31, 2019 AT 8:00 AM (PST)This exam will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITYREBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO RE-OPEN THE FILING PERIOD.
SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION
Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP) SCHEDULE 8:
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations.BENEFITS INFORMATION
The County of Los Angeles provides an excellent benefits package that allows employees to choose benefits that meet their specific needs. The package includes:Retirement Plan
- Defined benefit plan whereby member contributions through pre-tax payroll deductions.MegaFlex Benefits Plan
- Benefits may be purchased using a tax-free monthly benefits allowance of 14.5% - 17% of the employee's monthly salary. If the monthly cost of the benefits selected is less than the monthly allowance, the employee receives the difference as additional taxable pay. Benefits available through Megaflex include medical, dental, disability, life and AD&D insurance, annual leave and health and dependent care spending accounts.Savings Plan (401K)
- Optional tax-deferred income plan that may include a County matching contribution of up to 4% of employee's salary.Deferred Compensation Plan (457)
- Optional tax-deferred income plan that may include a County matching contribution of up to 4% of employee's salary.Leave
- Instead of the traditional sick and vacation leave, employees earn 10 days of leave per year and may buy up to 20 additional days.Holidays
- 12 per year.Professional Development
- The Public Library may pay for attendance at professional conferences and memberships in State and national professional organizations.DEFINITION:
Assists in managing of library services within a region or specialized system-wide service.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists the Library Administrator in administering a region.
- Supervises subordinate managers in a region or specialized system-wide services.
- Reviews and analyzes capital project and refurbishment proposals to provide financial input on service needs.
- Plans and oversees the use of funds derived from dedicated tax revenue.
- Prepares Board Letters, delegated authority agreements, correspondence, written reports, and special assignments at the request of the County Librarian and Executive Management.
- Assists in administrative functions such as budget preparation and control, personnel selection and development, and facility operations and maintenance.
- Recommends new or expanded library services, materials collections, and facilities within a region or service program.
- Assists in formulating , developing and implementing departmental goals, objectives, programs and policies.
- Responds in writing or verbally to sensitive or controversial inquiries or complaints.
- Leads or participates in departmental committees.
- Prepares regular reports regarding services, programs and operations.
- Assists the Head of Technical Services by directing the acquisition of new, additional and replacement copies of books and periodicals for use throughout the Library.
- Visits libraries within region regularly, and other agencies.
- Directs the classification and cataloging of library materials for use throughout the Library.
- Plans, develops and coordinates a major department-wide service such as Collection Development or Youth or Adult Services.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I:
A Master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited* college or university in Library Science or Information Science - AND - one (1) year of experience at the level of Los Angeles County's class of Librarian V** which includes immediate charge of a very large community library having a minimum of ten (10) full-time librarians and other non-professional staff.OPTION II:
A Master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited* college or university in Library Science or Information Science - AND - Two (2) years of experience at the level of Los Angeles County's class of Librarian IV*** which includes immediate charge of a large community library having a minimum of five (5) full-time librarians and other non-professional staff, or centralized responsibilities for coordinating specialized library programs.LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
To qualify, applicants MUST
submit a copy of their Master of Library Science (MLS) degree, Master of Information Science (MLIS) degree or transcripts of school records from an accredited* college or university confirming successful completion of their degree within 15 calendar days of filing.
The institution must be accredited by the publications listed above as well as the American Library Association (ALA). A list of ALA accredited programs are available on the ALA website at: http://www.ala.org/accreditedprograms/directory
In the service of Los Angeles County, a Librarian V** is defined as having immediate charge of a Group I level community library or directs and coordinates department-wide specialized reference services.
In the service of Los Angeles County, a Librarian IV*** is defined as having immediate charge of a Group II level community library, or coordinates a regional specialized library service or department-wide special service program; or performs highly-specialized work evaluating and selecting materials for the department's collection; or directs the performance of difficult Technical Services support functions.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an interview weighted 100% which will assess education, training, experience, personal fitness and general knowledge and ability to perform the duties of the position.
Candidates must achieve a 70% or higher on the examination to be added on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the County of Los Angeles Public Library.SPECIAL INFORMATION
Appointees must be willing to work any shift, including evenings, nights and weekends. SHIFT :
ANY APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Fill out your application completely. Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, fax or in person will NOT be accepted. Any required documents must be submitted within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Fill out the application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience in the space provided. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, and description of work performed. All information supplied by applicants is subject to verification. Applicants may be rejected at any stage of the selection process.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. IMPORTANT NOTES:
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING ONLINE FILING:
- All information included in the application is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
- Utilizing verbiage from Class Specification and/or Bulletin serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
Department Contact Name: Julia Ngo
Department Contact Phone: (562) 940-8434
Department Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (562) 940-4155
ADA Coordinator Email: Sfowler@library.lacounty.gov
Teletype Phone: (562) 940-8477