RECREATION PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
The City of Concord is recruiting to fill a Student Internship vacancy in the Parks and Recreation Department. This position is open to current college students who have completed their coursework and are looking to fulfill their undergraduate program internship requirements to obtain a B.S. or B.A degree in Recreation or similar field.
The Recreation Program Intern will be exposed to and will gain experience in many different areas of recreation to allow for the most valuable overall work experience possible. Interns will assist Recreation Department staff with various programs, projects, and special events. Interns will gain hands-on experience working with program staff, budgets, registration, facility rental software, and customers. The Intern position requires exceptional customer service skills, computer proficiency in Microsoft Windows-based programs, the ability to maintain strong and open lines of communication, and the ability to manage time and workload effectively to meet stringent deadlines. A strong and determined work ethic is expected. The ideal candidate will perform related work as required, all within the context of the City's Mission, Vision and Values
Primary Location : Willow Pass Community Center, 2748 East Olivera Road, Concord 94519
Alternate Locations : Will vary depending on project and duties assignedHours:
Primary work schedule will be during traditional business hours and will be determined based on student availability and internship requirements. Flexibility to work some evenings, weekends and holidays is a plus. Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
- Complete university requirements of internship in timely manner.
- Learn basic facility management and rental operations.
- Learn basic aquatics programs and operations.
- Learn basic parks department operations.
- Assist in planning, supervising, and evaluating recreation programs.
- Organize, plan and conduct a special event.
- Assist with registration and become familiar with front desk administrative procedures.
- Assist in planning and supervising an athletic program or tournament.
- Assist with marketing, public relations, and promotion of programs and other events through flyer development, press releases, social media posts, brochure preparation and other outlets.
- Provide information and assistance to rental customers, activity participants, and City staff.
- Respond to questions, complaints, and emergency situations; take appropriate courses of action.
- Observe and/or participate in part-time staff interviews.
- Become familiar with various forms; i.e. check requests, purchase orders, service contracts, time sheets, bid forms and maintenance requests.
- Participate in professional committees, conferences, workshops and classes to improve knowledge and network as available.
- Attend and actively participate in recreation/facility staff meetings and department-wide monthly meetings.
Other: SELECTION PROCESS
- Considerable knowledge and experience with Microsoft Windows-based programs is a must.
- Certifications in CPR, AED and First Aid are preferred.
- Candidate must be able to lift and move 50-60 pounds.
- Candidate must possess a valid Driver's License with no license revocations or suspensions within the last 3 years.
- Candidate must pass a reference check, criminal background check, and TB test.
- In accordance with Federal Law, if selected, candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and ability to legally work in the United States.
To be considered for this internship program, submit a cover letter and resume to Program Coordinator Kayla Malachowski. The cover letter should include the student's availability, required hours, and timeframe they need to work within to complete their internship requirements. Cover letter and resumes may be submitted to email@example.com or in person at the Willow Pass Community Center, 2748 E. Olivera Road, Concord, CA 94519.
All submissions received will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this announcement. Only those candidates that best meet the qualifications and needs of the department will be invited to continue in the selection process. Students selected to move on to the next step will then be directed to complete a City of Concord employment application online at www.cityofconcord.org .
The selection process may include one or more panel interviews.FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact the Willow Pass Community Center between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. at (925) 671-3423.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous