Recruitment Number VA951
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 04/12/18. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title BUS DRIVER (Bus Driver/Heavy Equipment Operator) - UPDATED
Class Title HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR/BUS DRIVER
Salary Range (From $ to $) $18.62 - $30.84 per month (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range).
Department Bus Reservations
Number of Positions 3
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Temporary: (Renewable with the possibility of becoming permanent)
Pay Plan 12/12 month
CBU/MOU R05 - CSUEU Operations & Support Services
Quick Link http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/4702
Hours Per Day Varies
Days Per Week Varies
Position available for one year from date of hire with the possibility of renewal.
This intermittent position will operate buses for campus related activities as needed, up to a maximum of 1,000 compensated hours per fiscal year. Incumbent may be required to perform manual labor associated with the use of equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
• Working knowledge of:
• The rules of safe driving and the provisions of the State of California Vehicle Code pertaining to operation of vehicles assigned.
• State of California General Industrial Safety orders related to the assigned tasks.
• The principles and procedures of recordkeeping as required by DOT.
• Basic computer literacy including light use of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook for e-mailing and scheduling.
Incumbent must possess:
• Well-developed verbal communication skills.
• Manual dexterity for handling equipment parts.
• Mechanical aptitude for operating equipment, performing checks and recognizing irregularities.
• Skills in minor vehicle repair.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Work under limited supervision within a framework of well-defined policies and procedures.
• Operate assigned equipment safely.
• Recognize safety hazards and follow practices and laws to ensure safety.
• Follow manuals and guidelines pertaining to operation of state vehicles.
• Load and unload vehicles correctly and safely.
• Exercise good judgment, flexibility, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
• Relate to a diverse population of faculty, staff, students and the general public in a tactful and cooperative manner.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, staff, students and others.
• Service and perform routine repairs of equipment operated
• Perform manual labor as required.
• Adjust to change (i.e. work environment, technology, etc.).
• Function cooperatively and productively as a member of a unit.
• Perform the duties listed herein.
Required Education and/or Experience
Equivalent to one year of paid truck driving, automotive equipment operation, or bus driving experience, including operation of heavy trucks of three axles or more, or large loaders, forklifts or other equipment.
Equivalent to one year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience, preferably involving bus driving or chauffeuring, or driving a car pool or other experience driving passenger carrying vehicles.
Recruitment Preferences Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• One year of commercial or school bus driving experience.
• The person holding this position is considered a "Limited Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017), as a condition of employment.
• A valid California Commercial Class B driver's license, with a passenger endorsement to carry up to 30 passengers, must be maintained throughout employment in this position, as well as successful completion and continued compliance with CSU Defensive Driving Course.
• A current Medical Examiner Class B Certificate (within the past two years) must be maintained throughout employment in this position.
• Incumbent must pass pre-employment DOT drug testing and random testing and reasonable suspicion testing for both drugs (controlled substances) and alcohol, as per DOT requirements, throughout employment.
• Drivers of state-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record which will be checked in accordance with commercial driving requirements with the Department of Motor Vehicles. A good driving record according to UCAM 6562 requires each employee who drives a state vehicle to certify he/she has been issued not more than three moving violations or been responsible for more than three accidents (or any combination of more than three thereof) during the past 12 months.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. This is considered a sensitive position. Current CSU, Chico employees are subject to a background check (including a criminal record check) if voluntarily moving into a sensitive position, regardless of any background checks previously conducted.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position remains seated in a stationary position for long periods of time while driving vehicles. Position also moves about frequently loading and unloading, fueling and performing vehicle checks and minor maintenance. Must climb stairs to enter bus.
The majority of work is performed operating a standard passenger bus. Work locations vary greatly depending on destination, and may include even and uneven walking surfaces, exposure to weather such as summer and winter temperatures, humidity or precipitation for several hours each day. Work may involve moderate exposure to dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
This appointment does not include health benefits for applicants not currently employed with CSU, Chico. Benefit eligibility for on-campus employees will be reviewed based on their current benefit status.
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
Detailed information is available at http://www.csuchico.edu/pa/chico-facts.shtml. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University's 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment - see http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainability/index.shtml.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 03/29/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled