Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general supervision, to instruct certified swimming instruction programs and safeguard swimming pool/aquatic center patrons in various water areas and depths of aquatic facilities, and to ensure proper use of pool area. Approximate Employment Duration :
Up to 30 hours per week. 120 days appointments from May until August. Deadline :
Applicationsareaccepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions.Acceptable Experience and Training
- Must be 16 years of age, AND
- Must have the ability to obtain (by date of employment) a current certificationin First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Candidates who possess a current certificationas an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) bythe start of employment will be compensated at a starting rate of $10.50 (Range: $10.50-$12.39)
- Candidates who do not possess a current WSI certificationbythe start ofemployment will be compensated at a starting rate of $9.50 (Range: $9.50-$11.36)
Candidates accepting a conditional offer of employment as a Swim Instructor with the City of Des Moines will have the opportunity to be offeredto take the Water Safety Instructor training class through the City of Des Moines in June. You have the opportunity to be reimbursed for this training by committing to teaching swim lessons for the City of Des Moines throughout the summer. Alternatively, Water Safety Instructor classes are offered year round throughout the community.Required Special Qualifications
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and if applicable driving record background checks.
- Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Instructs various levels of the Swimming and Water Safety program curriculum for American Red Cross Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn to Swim and other Red Cross Water Safety courses and presentations;
- Adapts teaching approaches to the ages, experiences and abilities of participants so they can meet course objectives;
- Communicates regularly with participants and their parents, as appropriate, to ensure they are aware of progress;
- Maintains personal health, fitness and endurance;
- Enforces rules governing the conduct of persons at the swimming pools;
- Performs cleaning duties related to opening, operating and closing the facilities.;
- Attend required in-service meetings;
- Recognizes emergency situations and reacts appropriately in a quick and calm manner;
- Recognizes potentially hazardous conditions and intercedes to correct such conditions;
- Assists with completion of course records and reports; and performs other related work as assigned.
Closing Date/Time: 6/15/2020 5:00 PM Central