The PositionThis is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:3/10/20, 5/11/20, 7/10/20
Under supervision, diagnoses malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds, and adjusts gasoline and diesel powered equipment. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Operation and principles of gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment in the maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel powered equipment and related parts
- Hydraulic and air brake systems, automotive electrical, carburetion, and cooling systems
- Torque converters, automatic and standard transmissions
- Hydraulic pumps, motors, and control valves
- Standard shop safety procedures
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Recognize and diagnose heavy equipment mechanical problems
- Properly repair and adjust gasoline and diesel powered equipment and component parts
- Read and understand automotive and equipment operating manuals and schematics
- Improvise repair of equipment
- Follow oral and written directions
- Acetylene and arc weld
- Work safely in and around heavy equipment
- Safely operate refuse trucks and heavy construction equipment
- Safely and properly operate tools and equipment in repairing and rebuilding gasoline and diesel powered equipment
1. Three years of full-time experience as an Equipment Service Worker in Sacramento County service.OR:
2. Four years of full-time experience in diagnosing malfunctions and repairing, rebuilding, and adjusting gasoline and diesel powered heavy equipment.
Up to one year of the required experience may be substituted by successful completion of diesel mechanics or heavy maintenance and construction equipment vocational education or training courses offered by an accredited college on the basis of three (3) semester units or four and one-half (4.5) quarter units; equal one (1) month experience. The courses must cover subjects specifically related to diesel trucks or heavy maintenance and construction equipment and their components. To compute full-time equivalency of part-time experience: 173.6 = 21.7 days = 1 work month.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, itmeans full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice.Special Requirements
1. A valid California Driver's License, Class B or higher will be required prior to completion of the probationary period.
2. Ability to obtain a Class A, California Driver's License; and/or a Hazardous Materials Endorsement; and/or a Tank Vehicle Endorsement issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles may be required for some positions.
Ability to repair equipment located in cramp areas; ability to work in awkward positions; ability to manually lift equipment parts weighing up to 100 pounds; ability to trace electrical wiring by color code and touch; ability to recognize mechanical problems by sight and sound; ability to climb 10 foot ladder to repair large equipment.
NOTE: Employees are responsible for providing their own set of basic tools, such as wrenches, screwdrivers, ratchets, pliers.
Hours of work:
Ability to work day, swing, or graveyard shift.
NOTE: Failure to maintain the appropriate valid California Driver's License and Endorsements constitutes cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail
EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 7/10/2020 5:00 PM Pacific