SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $3,513.00/month to $4,298.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $3,513.00/month to $3,906.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The Office of Admission processes and evaluates applications at the freshman, transfer, and graduate student levels focusing primarily on domestic U.S. residents. The office provides some support for the processing of International applications. The Office works closely with CSUEB staff, faculty, and members of the community-at-large. Admission staff process applications and related documents, determine residency, render admission decisions, and proactively communicate with students in an accurate, timely and efficient manner.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Admission, the Admissions Counselor Trainee will learn to analyze reports and make appropriate updates in applicable computer systems, support the work of evaluators and admission counselors, respond to inquiries by prospective and current students, prepare documents and student files in advance of admission to the University, including preparing documents and student files for imaging.
This is a temporary, full-time position that will end 1 year from start date.
Provide information and service for all admission functions
* Respond to applicant inquiries on the phone and through various department email accounts regarding required documents needed to complete application review, evaluation status, and CSUEB policies/procedures, etc.
* Provide information to prospective and current students needed to successfully prepare for admission, apply or progress as a CSUEB student including Orientation, and various Division events
* Contact (Tele-counseling campaigns) current and prospective students regarding various division efforts
* Assist with logistical support for counselors conducting field work
* Assist with special projects or events
* Support efforts of the team leader in coordinating activities of the work team
Download reports and update computer systems
* Download daily reports and/or workflow assignments
* Review documents and update coding in PeopleSoft (for ex: Transcript coding)
* Update information/coding as needed in appropriate administrative computing system(s) and verifying the image quality is acceptable and information is accurate in the appropriate computing systems
* Data scrub projects as needed
* Post transferrable credits in batches by California Community College.
* Review records as appropriate after transfer credit posts.
* As needed or requested, data entry information in computing system.
* Notify appropriate staff if duplicate records are found.
Process Freshmen and Transfer Applications
* Obtain all required information to determine eligibility using electronically submitted application data and transcript information.
* Assess and interpret self-reported applicant information and academic records for determination of eligibility for admission.
* Solve problems with individual applications by obtaining additional information from applicants, counselors, faculty and staff.
* Apply policies to unusual cases and determine when to refer unusual cases to supervisors.
* Plan the processing and evaluation for an assigned portion of the total applicant pool prioritizing work for different terms of entry simultaneously.
* Verify admitted applicants' eligibility for enrollment.
Evaluate Academic Documents and make Final Admissions Decisions
* Evaluate applications according to all applicable polices for CSU Eligibility and make final admissions decisions, including GPA and Eligibility Index calculations as well as completion of College Preparatory (A-G) admissions requirements.
* Evaluate out-of-state high school course work to determine completion of College Preparatory requirements.
* Evaluate transfer credit for current and prospective applicants from test scores (Advanced Placement, etc.) and/or accredited colleges.
* Interpret transcript information and update student records to determine placement for English and Math.
Advise students on admission requirements, policy and procedure.
* Advise prospective applicants regarding application processing and eligibility requirements.
* Communicate with applicant populations in individual and small group settings both on and off campus.
* Communicate admission requirements to educational counselors as needed.
* Counsel denied applicants regarding options and alternatives.
* Participate in campus events including Preview Day, Welcome Day, Orientation, and related activities.
* Identify potential candidates who would benefit by participation in special admission programs.
Other duties as assigned.
* Experience allowing proficiency in performing work assignments
* Demonstrated competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions
* Ability to quickly and accurately develop, retain, interpret, and apply comprehensive knowledge about CSU/CSUEB enrollment policies & procedures
* Thorough knowledge of office methods, procedures, and practices
* Ability to professionally and effectively interact with prospective and current students, co-workers, and colleagues
* Ability to organize and plan work projects including handling multiple priorities
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including thorough knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling
* Ability and willingness to understand, embrace, and communicate CSUEB marketing messages
* Ability to learn and use administrative computing system(s),instant messaging, document imaging programs, web-based information resources, and MS Office applications
Knowledge and Abilities:
Working knowledge of the basic principles of individual and group behavior; research and observation techniques for the purpose of recording, classifying, and interpreting factual information; and the techniques and methods of interviewing. Ability to gather and analyze data; reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations; participate in and contribute to group meetings, conferences and interviews; clearly express ideas and recommendations orally; write clear and concise reports; and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and faculty.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field. Specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled