Description NOTE: This job announcement was amended on 2020-02-19 to continuous.
The San Mateo County Health - San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) is seeking ahighly-qualified Social Worker III
to provide highly skilled, intensive discharge planning and case management to individuals and their families, and provide casework consultation within SMMC and to outside agencies.The current vacancy is anExtra Help vacancy. The work location is222 West 39th Avenue,San Mateo, CA 94403.
The Social Worker III will support the San Mateo Medical Center to provide services related to discharge planning/case management on various units of the hospital, including the Medical/Surgical unit, Intensive Care Unit, Acute Psychiatry unit, Long Term Care unit, Emergency Room, Psychiatric Emergency Services, and Clinics. This includes needs assessment, assistance in financial resource management, crisis management, service delivery planning and follow up, and referrals to public, community-based services and programs. The candidate should be familiar with the rules and regulations governing skilled nursing and assisted living facilities. The ideal candidate will have direct experience working in a hospital setting performing discharge planning, including appropriate documentation in accordance with all Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations, and should be experienced working with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) and LEAN principles.
The ideal candidate
NOTE - This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis.
- An experienced social worker with the ability to plan and execute complex treatment plans in a community- or hospital-based setting.
- Experienced working with geriatric patients (65 years of age and older).
- Knowledgeable of the systems of care related to older adults, mental health, substance abuse, developmental delay, pediatrics, primary care, palliative care, chronic illnesses, and dialysis.
- Able to work independently with little supervision and demonstrates a high degree of initiative.
- Knowledgeable of county housing resources, their requirements for eligibility, and other community services such as IHSS, MSSP, and Linkages.
- Knowledgeable about County benefit and entitlement programs.
- Experienced and comfortable working with the following populations: multi-cultural, homeless, chronic diseases, end-of-life, mental health, domestic violence, parolees, and substance abuse disorders.
- Able to accurately assess for signs of adult and child abuse and be a mandated reporter.
- Able to work in a politically-charged environment under high degrees of stress and meet all deadlines.
- Able to develop effective and positive working relationships with community partners such as Aging and Adult Services and Behavioral Health and Recovery Services.
- An effective communicator to a broad range of stakeholders, including MD's, nurses, conservators, health advocates, families, and patients.
- Able to remain calm during crisis situations and perform emergency crisis counseling for families and patients as needed.
- Experienced documenting in an Electronic Medical Record(EMR).
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely.
Some extra help positions are eligible for benefitsundertheAffordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide information and assistance to geriatric patients of San Mateo Medical Center.
- Conduct initial screenings for patients and develop appropriate discharge/service plans to address identified issues.
- Provide skilled casework services to patients and their families.
- Schedule and conduct family care conference meetings for patients and families needing short-term case management.
- Coordinate referrals, both internal and external, as part of the social service plan.
- Follow up on referrals and document outcomes as well as completion of items.
- Provide crisis intervention to patients and their families.
- Assist patients in meeting a variety of emergency needs, including financial, housing, and emotional crises.
- Assist patients with applications and securing of private and public benefits.
- Gather and maintain current information on community resources, and disseminate this information to patients and staff.
- Maintain case files utilizing the electronic medical record.
- Work with the hospital's multidisciplinary team of staff to identify and address barriers to care, participate in quality assurance efforts such as outcome analysis, chart reviews, and patient and staff satisfaction efforts, and assist with maintenance of Center policies.
- Document interactions with patients/clients in eClinicalWorks (eCW).
- Be a member of the Palliative Care Team.
- Work in the emergency room or any other areas in the hospital that social workers cover.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
Theories of human behavior and their practical applications; psycho-social, medical, and economic interrelationships that result in individual and social abnormalities; philosophy and function of social work systems; appropriate utilization of a variety of social resources; and laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of social work agencies, specifically those relating to the specific areas of assignment.Skill/Ability to:
Formulating, developing and implementing treatment plans; working effectively with persons differing in value systems, ethnicity, cultural backgrounds and psychopathologies; working with a variety of social resources to plan and coordinate services to individual clients; acting as a consultant and trainer to other social service staff; and preparing clear and concise reports. Licensure/Certification:
California class C driver license or equivalent. Education:
Satisfactory completion of 36 semester units of Social Welfare and/or appropriate behavioral science courses.Experience:
Three years' experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County.Substitution:
Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of Social Work and two years' experience performing duties comparable to those of a Social Worker II or higher in San Mateo County.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply.
If you are interested in being considered forthis Extra Helpposition, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Cover letterwith responses to the following:
- Describe your case management experience with specific populations. Include the resources you utilized to help you manage the case(s) and your experience working as a member of an interdisciplinary team to develop comprehensive care plans.
- Describe your experience in working with patients/families in a healthcare facility. Include your title, the facility name, your duties, the length of time you were in your position, your caseload size, and the type of setting (inpatient or outpatient).
Please include the words"Social Worker III - Extra Help"
in the subject lineof email submission.Please submit the required materials electronically via email to:Kelsey Dattilo, Social Work Supervisor,email@example.com
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (02042020) (Social Worker III - G096)