The San Bernardino CountySheriff's Department
is accepting applications forDeputy Sheriff Trainees
who participate in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST).Sheriff's Trainees will:
- Learn to interpret and apply laws contained in various state codes and local ordinances (e.g., Penal, Vehicle, Welfare and Institutions Code as well as Health and Safety Codes).
- Learn and practice basic criminal and traffic accident investigation procedures; learn law enforcement techniques, including crime scene preservation, witness interviewing and evidence collection.
- Learn and practice safety, care and usage of small firearms and department-issued weapons.
- Learn and practice vehicle and radio operation, patrol procedures and traffic control.
- Learn civil procedures and custodial responsibilities.
For more detailed information, refer to the Sheriff's Trainee job description. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Incumbents are expected to successfully completethe Training Academy. Upon graduation, Sheriff's Trainees will be promoted to Deputy Sheriff , which has a current salary of $31.99 - $48.90 hourly, plus benefits and retirement plan. Applicants who have applied or tested for Deputy Sheriff Trainee within the pastthree (3) months are not eligible to apply for this recruitment. Minimum Requirements
The following are required for hire as a Deputy Sheriff:
- Be at least 21 years of age. (Applicants should be at least 20.5 years of age at time of testing.)
- Possess a high school diploma, G.E.D., or a U.S. Department of Education approved High School Equivalency Test.
- Possess a valid California Class C driver license.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Pass a rigorous physical agility test based on California P.O.S.T. standards.
- Be fingerprinted and pass an extensive background investigation that includes interviews and a polygraph examination.Candidates must not have been convicted of a felony or be on any type of criminal probation.
- Pass a psychological evaluation and medical examination meeting California P.O.S.T. mandates, including vision and hearing standards. (The medical examination includes a drug screening to determine the presence of illegal substances.
Note: The Sheriff's Department will be requesting your Social Security Number for the background process and for tracking your background materials. It is not needed for the application.
If you have any questions regarding this application, it is highly recommended you attend and Applicant Assistance Program .
You may also visit www.sheriffsjobs.com
or contact a recruiter
.Desired QualificationsThe ideal candidate
will havehigh personal and professional standards, good decision-making skills,and bementally and physically ready to handle the rigors of academy life.Learn more
about the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department by visiting sheriffsjobs.com or by attending an Applicant Assistance Program
.Selection ProcessThe Written Examination:
Upon review of the application and supplemental questionnaire, the best qualified applicants will be invited to take the online written examination. Applicants will havethree (3) months from thedate of application
to take the online written examination. Note: If the online written examination is not taken within thethree (3) month timeframe, applicants will be inactivated and must reapply to be considered for this position. NO EXCEPTIONS.
The online exam will consist of an evaluation of knowledge and skills in the following topics:
The Physical Agility Test (PAT) :
- Reading Comprehension
- Written Communication
Applicants successful in the online Written Exam will be expected to appear for a PhysicalAgility Test at the San Bernardino Sheriff's Academy. Applicants will be notified of dates and important information regarding the Physical Agility Test upon receiving a passing score on the written exam. Applicantsmust be successful on the Written Exam in order to attend thePhysical Agility Test . Only those applicants successful on both the Written Exam andthe Physical Agility Test will be able to continue in the background process.CLICK HERE
to view the PAT video online! Application Procedure :
Applications will be accepted continuously and reviewed on a weekly basis or periodically. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as this recruitment may close at any time.( Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the application and/or supplemental questionnaire.)
To ensure timely andsuccessfulsubmission of your onlineapplication, please allow ample time to complete and submit your application before the posted filing deadline. Applicants will be automaticallylogged-out if they have not submitted the application and all required materials prior to the posted deadline. Once your application has been successfullysubmitted you will receive an onscreen confirmation and an email. We recommend that you save and/or print these for your records. Please note, if you do not receive an onscreen confirmation and an email acknowledging our receipt of your application we have not received your application.
If you requiretechnical assistance
, please click HERE to review theGovernmentJobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-FreeApplicant Support line at (855) 524-5627.Please notethat Human Resources is notresponsiblefor any issues or delays caused by the internet connection, computer or browser used to submit the application.All communications regarding the selection process will be via email .
Applicants are encouraged to check their e-mails frequently to obtain any correspondence associated with this recruitment. Please be sure the email provided on this application is always current; it is your responsibility to update your personal information. Update your Spam, Junk, Bulk and Firewall settings as needed to ensure that you receive all information pertaining to this recruitment. Please click HERE for important Applicant Information and the County Employment Process .
Closing Date/Time: Continuous