Information Technology Project Management Consultant
(Information Technology Consultant - Career)
Apply Today! Open until filled. Application Screening Begins: Tuesday, March 3, 2020
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU
) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director, Project Management Office, the Information Technology Project Management Consultant is responsible for the oversight and coordination of projects within all areas impacting IT resources. The incumbent will facilitate relationships with internal and external stakeholders and will use effective communication to ensure collaboration and that projects are delivered on-time and within budget.
This position assumes responsibility for more of the technical analysis of project proposals, development of more complex scopes of work and working with multiple teams on implementing larger projects. The primary responsibility for application maintenance and upgrades (TeamDynamix - TDx), administrative processes in project prioritization. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following : Technical Project Coordination:
Resource Evaluation and Needs Analysis:
- Participate in all phases of the project lifecycle. Project Assignments may have an emphasis on CMS and Information Systems related projects of a more technical nature, requiring special technical skill and knowledge of technical processes.
- Create comprehensive project plans including project scopes using techniques such as process maps, workflow diagrams, capacity assessments and IT business procedures.
- Create project plans to include tasks, resources, dependencies, timelines and status throughout the life of each assigned project.
- Create and revise project documentation to meet changing needs and requirement s.
- Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with project teams and stakeholders comprised of IT Directors, managers, staff, consultants, vendors and the CSU Chancellor's Office.
- Facilitate team meetings and promote communication and cooperation among campus departments.
- Monitor project plans for potential timeline conflicts, project risks and issues in a timely manner escalate to management as appropriate.
- Provides timely reminders and encouragements to motivate project team members to help them achieve project expectations and deliverables.
Change Management and Operational Support:
- Works with the Associate Director to review business systems, processes, and user needs.
- Contribute to continual process improvements by soliciting feedback from project stakeholders, capturing lessons learned and implementing solutions following Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) standards and principles.
- Document requirements, scope and objectives for proposed customizations, upgrades and other project activities.
- Research process and technology solutions and provide recommendation to meet identified needs.
- Collaborate with customers and IT resources to define potential solutions that improve processes, provide value and are consistent with business strategies.
- Document current and new business processes.
Other Functions :
- Provide input to maintain and troubleshoot the IT Project & Portfolio Management tool (TeamDynamix).
- Facilitate and participate in a variety of department and campus meetings.
- Provide administrative support to the Shared Governance Committee.
- Maintain records to ensure that pertinent information is available
Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge:
Working knowledge of information technology systems and/or applications including campus wide systems and multimedia environments, access procedures, networks and/or databases. In addition, must have knowledge of project work plan development, project scheduling and documentation and project control techniques. Abilities:
Able to manage multiple medium to large technical projects and activities at any one time. Take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved. Ability to anticipate problems and address them proactively. Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in written or presentation form. Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction. Skills:
Experience in planning and facilitating group discussions, resolving conflicts that lead to implementing consensual work plans. Skilled in influencing and building relationships with both internal department leaders and with clients. Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems with a broad administrative impact and implications. Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills. Thorough mastery of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, editing and spoken language. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Working knowledge of automated desktop management tools in an enterprise environment, common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems. SPECIALIZED SKILLS
Knowledge of methods and procedures for providing or performing a variety of administrative functions and services in support of the operations for the Project Management Office.
- Knowledge of database, word processor and spreadsheet applications (including MS Project and Visio) and their uses.
- Knowledge of project work plan development techniques (e.g. MS Project) for medium to complex projects.
- Knowledge of project-related documentation including but not limited to: scope documents, task lists, test scripts, issue tracking, business process guides, training materials and lessons learned reviews.
- Knowledge of project control techniques including milestone and critical path scheduling, managing project risk and appropriate contingency plans.
- Knowledge of IT systems and applications including access controls, networks, system integration and databases.
- Knowledge and experience with enterprise level database applications and document management workflow systems.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Strong customer services skills.
- Exhibit professionalism, reliability, composure and stability under pressure as required for handling on the job challenges. Be able to give and take constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and students to resolve recurring differences in expectations and available resources.
- Ability to work with people with a variety of communication styles and a broad spectrum of disciplines across organizational units and within internal teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas quickly, understandably and tact fully.
- Knowledge of and experience with project management software tools including, but not limited to, Microsoft Project and other related computer applications.
- Knowledge of and experience using systems and process analysis for documenting current and new solutions.
Three years of work experience in higher education using technical project management principles and procedures including developing project scopes, charters, work plans and managing project teams. PMP and/or ITIL Foundations Certificates. Knowledge of project work plan development processes including Waterfall, SDLC and Agile/Lean methodologies.
Experience with project management tools. Experience working in higher education. Degree in Business, Information Technology or related field. Two years recent professional experience in a project management capacity in a business or technical field. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Technical and Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid to High $5,000's/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library
). All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled