Description:Planner/Estimator/Scheduler(Planner/Estimator/Scheduler)This is a full-time, temporary position for two years from the start date. This appointment may be extended and/or become regular based on budget or operational needs. MB2019-PC2621
Apply Today! Open until filled. Application Screening Begins: Monday, March 9, 2020
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU
) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Maintenance and Operations, the Planner/Estimator/Scheduler is responsible for planning, estimating, and/or scheduling functions for preventive maintenance, repair, alteration, and minor construction projects of building and equipment installed on grounds and in or upon buildings. The incumbent performs the responsible and complex planning, estimating, or scheduling functions, or any combination of two such functions. This position works collaboratively with the Lead and Supervising Skilled Trades Technicians and others within the Facilities Management Department. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
Other Functions :
- Prepare cost estimates for labor and materials for in-house projects; prepare specifications and total cost estimates for preventive maintenance and similar contract jobs; coordinate the development of work orders; make material requests; check materials as they are delivered to assure they meet job requirements; ascertain that all materials are on hand or will be available when needed on a particular job; check availability of staff to perform the work; arrange for access to the job facility by contacting the person responsible for use of that facility; and schedule jobs. Analyze deferred maintenance and provide prioritized approach to reduce backlog.
- Collect and/or review information from various staff members and craft foremen; use such information in developing material lists which are complete and accurate, and cost estimates which are complete and reliable; and schedule the sequence of work required to complete a job across all Plant Operations departments, as appropriate.
- Coordinate the preparation of work orders and schedule work generated from the campus preventive maintenance system; perform tasks involved in the complete operation of the preventive maintenance system, including analyzing, planning, estimating and scheduling work to be accomplished in line with accepted trade practices, pertinent specifications, drawings and sketches; and may maintain a computerized preventive maintenance system.
- Assist in the development and review of a five-year programmed maintenance special repair budget, a deferred maintenance list, and assist in the preparation of the annual minor construction, and special repair budget.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Assist the Planning Team and related positions in the preparation of plans and specifications and in the maintenance of University as-built plans and facility records.
- Prepare specifications and plans in accordance with code, data or local requirements covering labor, scope and quality of materials.
- Prepare shop drawings and sketches with work descriptions for in-house projects and prepare contract requests for minor jobs which are non-project type requiring full engineering services.
of building materials, costing procedures and the sequential methods of modern construction practices so that various crafts are brought onto the project at the proper time to assure continuous progress to bring the job to completion in a timely manner; time required for performing various segments of construction and maintenance work is necessary in order to properly schedule work; building codes and trades is also required to enable the incumbent to write complete and concise specifications to accompany plans for contract jobs. Knowledge
of the requirements for the proper maintenance of mechanical equipment; knowledge of budgeting procedures including an understanding of price changes due to inflation and other economic factor; and computerized preventive maintenance systems and ability to access such information through use of a terminal is desirable.Ability
to read, interpret, and prepare plans and specifications for all phases of construction and building maintenance. The ability to read, understand and utilize technical information, parts lists and operating manuals is required in order to program and schedule a predetermined preventive maintenance system and to keep the various mechanical and stationary equipment properly maintained and in continuous working condition. The ability to work effectively with all levels of University personnel as well as off-campus professional agencies. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :Experience:
Two years journey level experience in one or more building or mechanical craft trades. Education:
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college in engineering, architecture, business management, plant management, industrial technology or public administration. Up to four years of applicable experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. SPECIALIZED SKILLS :
A general knowledge of State contract procedures is desired. Possession of or ability to obtain by date of hire a valid California Driver's License. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
Five years of experience in a staff or supervisory capacity in plant operations administration or the construction industry, including experience in design, plan analysis and estimating for multiple trade projects.
Demonstrated knowledge/experience of construction and facilities management. Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), and resource and task scheduling software linked with an Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS). Experience with estimating software programs and/or spreadsheets and databases. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary two year appointment
- Collective Bargaining Unit: R09- Technical and Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Low to mid $5,000's/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library
). All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled