The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office seeks qualified applicants to join our team as a Deputy Sheriff. We welcome all candidates who want to serve their community by pursuing a law enforcement career. Please see below for important information about required qualifications and the recruitment process. Also, visit our webpage and follow us on Facebook .Teamwork,Integrity,ProfessionalismMission
: Through our vision and values, we are dedicated to providing quality public safety services in partnership with our diverse communities.Vision
:To be recognized as a respected and trusted Sheriff's Office while making Kitsap County a safer place to live, work, and visit.
Full descriptions for each position are available by selecting the classification link below and/or on the Public Safety website.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSRequired Education and Experience - Entry Level Candidates
- Deputy Sheriff1 (Entry Level)
- Deputy Sheriff2 (Lateral/Experienced)
Required Education and Experience - Lateral Candidates
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).; AND
- One year of employment as a full-time (full police powers) commissioned law enforcement officer for a state police/patrol, county sheriff's office or municipal police agency; AND
- Successfully completed an agency's law enforcement patrol FTO and probationary program; AND
- Applicants must be currently employed or not be separated from employment for more than one year as a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer by a state police/patrol, county sheriff's office or municipal police agency at the time of application.
All interested entry level and lateral candidates should also review KCSO agency information, requirements, disqualifying criteria, and application process information at our Public Safety Agency Page . Application Process
The start point for all KCSO law enforcement positions is with a valid Public Safety Testing (PST) Law Enforcement Exam ( www.publicsafetytesting.com ). Here are the steps to get started:
- Visit the PST website and choose your career path (Law Enforcement, Corrections, or both).
- Select Kitsap County as one of the agencies you are interested in.
- Review and agree to the required qualifications to join our team.
- Select a date and time for your Law Enforcement Exam.
- Create an applicant profile. Filling out your profile ensures that agencies have the information required for the hiring process.
- Take your test. Be prepared to succeed when you arrive at your test location.
If you list Kitsap County as one of the agencies you are interested in, we will receive the results of your written and physical fitness tests. We will then send you an invitation to apply to Kitsap County . We will receive your online application, screen it to ensure you qualify, and then place you on a hiring register if you meet our eligibility requirements. Your PST score will determine your position on that register. You will be eligible for further steps in the hiring process (i.e., background investigation, oral boards, etc.) for six months after placement on the hiring register.OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
Entry Level Candidates:
- Base Salary $69,160 - $88,254 currently, with an approved 3.5%wage increase in 2021.
- Assignment pay for special duty (Detective, Investigator, K9, Bomb Tech, S&R, FTO, Traffic Collision Specialist, SWAT, SRO, CRO, Drug Recognition Expert)
- Longevity incentives. Language pay (2%) for certified bilingual capability in approved languages.
- Shift Differential pay.
- Base Salary for eligible lateral candidates ranges from $72,612 - $88,254 currently, with an approved 3.5%wage increase in 2021.
- All pay incentives outlined above.
- KCSO may, at its discretion, offer one or more of the following lateral hiring incentives:
- Recognize prior service time as a full-time commissioned law enforcement officer for purposes of calculating longevity and annual leave accrual rate
- One week (53.3 hours) of annual leave and one week of sick leave in addition to determined accrual rate
- A sign-on bonus not to exceed $5,000 with half to be paid upon hire and half to be paid upon completion of the probationary period
More information about the pay and benefits offered to Kitsap County Deputy Sheriffs can be found in the Deputy Sheriff's Guild Collective Bargaining Agreement .Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.