SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $4,691.00/month to $6,683.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $4,691.00/month to $5,687.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The Sankofa Scholars Program is a learning community developed to support the retention and graduation of our African American/Black students at CSU East Bay.The Sankofa Scholars Program assist students who are seeking a cultural connection through community building activities and connecting participants to faculty and staff, as these are essential components to achieving academic success.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Sankofa Scholars Programs Specialist will provide a full range of academic support services, and cultural activities to promote success for participating students in the Sankofa Scholars Program at CSU East Bay. The Sankofa Scholars Programs Specialist is responsible for improving and delivering service to students through administration, technology and communication. This position will lead in the program planning, implementation, assessment and evaluation. Additionally, the Sankofa Scholars Program Specialist will collaborate with faculty and staff to address student and program needs and to develop strategies that support the recruitment, retention and graduation of students.
The Sankofa Scholars Program Specialist will lead the programmatic components and academic partnerships of the Sankofa Program, which includes but is not limited to targeted outreach to high school and community college students, oversight of the program's application process and admissions procedures; administering academic support services to students enrolled within the Sankofa Scholars program; referrals to on- and off-campus support services; monitoring and managing the program budget; implementing the mentoring program, and forging strategic partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
The Sankofa Scholars Program Specialist reports to the Director Equity Initiatives.
Program Development and Coordination
* The Sankofa Scholars Programs Specialist will lead all programmatic components and academic partnerships. Duties will include, but not be limited to program event coordination, outreach and admissions, as well as oversight and implementation of the day-to-day operations of Sankofa Scholars services.
* Identify best practices that support the Sankofa Scholars student community through research at similar institutions. Write a final report which outlines a proposal to implement services and programs that support student success.
* Establishes a community among students by offering an ongoing selection of of high impact practices to increase student contact, involvement, achievement, and overall satisfaction.
* Initiate and maintain cooperative working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups, including faculty, staff, student organizations and off-campus community groups.
* Provide annual assessment and evaluation to ensure that programs and services are meeting student needs.
* Work collaboratively with SEAS Program Specialists to reduce redundancy.
* Implement innovative ways of encouraging and supporting the personal and career developmental needs of the population served through the Kaliedoscope mentor program.
* Plan, develop, and coordinate Sankofa Scholars participant events (i.e., Year End Ceremony, Welcome/orientation) including coordination of room reservations, staffing, logistics, and providing guidance and direction to volunteers, as well as overall event management on the day of event.
Outreach, Marketing and Administrative Duties
* Ensure all publications are updated in both print and on the website
* Organizes and leads the Sankofa application process by working with educational equity programs on- and off-campus to identify potential students, disseminates program information and application materials.
* Reviews applications and interview prospective students and assess their abilities and readiness. Upon completion of the application and interview assessment process, makes recommendations.
* Coordinate the application, orientation and on-boarding process for Sankofa Scholar participants
* Provide lead work direction for front desk student assistants in the coordination of office procedures to receive, process, and respond to ground mail, phone, and email for applicants. Provide lead work direction to student assistant in processing of applications, correspondence, and participant file organization.
* Coordinates quarterly advisory board meetings under the general supervision of the Director of Equity Initiatives
* Conducts program evaluation and assessment, completing monthly and annual reports for the Director of Equity Initiatives.
* Under general supervision, track the Sankofa Scholars program budget expenditures.
Liaison and Campus Involvement Responsibilities
* Conduct and coordinate presentations to campus visitors (applicants and general public, such as community college counselors, and other support program staff), as well as on-campus offices.
* Participate in on-campus outreach activities, such as the CSUEB Preview Day, Welcome Day, University Orientations, and SEAS Welcome.
* Develop and implement outreach activities on campus and at local community colleges and/or area high schools and community organizations as appropriate to promote Sankofa Scholars support services at CSUEB.
* Participate in on-campus and off-campus events that promote the recruitment of new students and support their transition to the University;
* Represent the department and SEAS in appropriate committees.
* Partake in appropriate professional development activities to remain current on relevant issues pertaining to higher education and the recruitment and retention of African American/Black students.
* Participate in campus wide events and programs, which seek to recruit, retain, or encourage the success of African American/Black students.
* Participates in appropriate Student Affairs and University-wide meetings including, but not limited to, university committees, staff meetings, retreats, problem solving meetings, team projects, and divisional meetings, representing the interests of African American/Black students served.
Other duties as assigned.
* Knowledge of current issues affecting higher education, student services, academic advising, underrepresented and underserved populations.
* Knowledge of individual and group dynamics to be used when counseling clients.
* Knowledge of complex and evolving university policies and procedures regarding academic probation, academic disqualification, academic renewal and reinstatement.
* Knowledge of the student population served.
* Skills in computers including a working knowledge of computer applications including all Microsoft Office products and online systems including PeopleSoft.
* Skills in communication including listening, writing and speaking which includes public speaking.
* Skills in organization used to execute multiple projects and assignments simultaneously with an emphasis on accuracy and detail orientation.
* Skills in customer/client service with an emphasis on problem solving to deliver services in a timely and professional manner.
* Ability to develop, implement and manage retention related programs/services.
* Ability to interact and work cooperatively with a diverse student population and staff.
* Ability to generate and maintain collaborative working relationships with campus and community stakeholders.
* Ability to operate independently while applying sound professional judgment, maintaining professional standards and insuring client confidentiality.
* Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
* Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed for special events.
Equivalent of three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. One year in the program area to which assigned may be preferred but is not required.
A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate course work in counseling techniques, interviewing,
and conflict resolution where such are job-related.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a position with supervisory/lead responsibilities, subject to completion of the University on-line Sexual Harassment training as a condition of employment.
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled