SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The starting salary for this 10/12 position will be between $4,742.00/month to $6,946.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
Student Health and Counseling Services provides basic, augmented and preventive health care to CSU East Bay students. These services support the clinic's mission to have students achieve and maintain an optimal state of health so they may attain their academic and career goals.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Family Nurse Practitioner evaluates, diagnoses, and treats medical conditions of CSU East Bay students with an emphasis on preventative care, as per protocol and approved privileges, and under the supervision of a physician. The family nurse practitioner also provides health education and performs health promotion activities, and other administrative duties as assigned. The family nurse practitioner may also provide some employee health-care services.
This is a 10/12 pay plan position. The incumbent will work 10 months out of the year with the salary spread over 12 months.
Provides outpatient medical care to CSU East Bay students with an emphasis on routine primary care services, including basic and some augmented health care services.
* Plans and assumes responsibility for the clinical management of patients with common medical problems, injuries, and urgent care needs. Coordinates care to students with chronic and episodic health conditions and provides maintenance of care within established protocols.
* Identifies the health status of each patient by obtaining a problem-oriented history covering chief complaint, patient profile, history of present illness, relevant family history, past medical history, and review of systems.
* Participates in Women's Clinic and performs physical assessments related to Gynecology, which may include breast examinations, abdominal and pelvic examinations, papanicolaou smears, and obtains vaginal specimens for laboratory examinations and cultures.
* Performs physical examinations for health maintenance as well as for students who have special health concerns or are participating in programs requiring certification of health status orders and interprets diagnostic tests and procedures.
* Develops problem list, completes diagnosis and assessment procedures, formulates and initiates therapeutic plan, determines patient education needs, and delivers patient teaching and counseling.
* Consults with a physician as indicated by established SHCS protocols and for those conditions which lay outside of the individual Nurse Practitioner's competence and expertise.
* Furnishes medications and family planning devices per established protocols, and conducts follow-up as necessary.
* Provides treatment for anyone on campus in the event of accidental injury or acute emergency illness until suitable disposition of the case may be made. Generally, this should be first aid.
* Evaluates and treats injuries, which may include ordering of X-rays and consulting with a physician to interpret. May apply casts and splints.
* May perform minor surgical and family planning procedures.
* Participates in the treatment of work-related employee illness or injury as outlined in the Student Health Services Worker Compensation policy and procedures.
* Consults with a physician and other health care providers as necessary. Makes referrals to other Health Services staff or local community resources as necessary.
* May provide and coordinate student health services with the satellite campus clinic at Concord, when necessary, including working independently with telephone contact with a physician.
* Provides basic psychiatric evaluations and may manage common mental health issues such as uncomplicated depression, anxiety and panic disorders.
* Adheres to CSU policies as informed by State and Federal regulation and laws.
Provides health promotion/prevention services.
* Provides health education information concerning contraception, human sexuality problems, sexually transmitted diseases, and gynecological problems.
* Provides health education to individual patients, student groups, health services staff, and the campus community.
* May provide immunizations for students and university employees.
* Performs surveillance, pre-employment physicals for students and employees.
Provides administrative services.
* Maintains accurate and complete health records in legible and problem-oriented format.
* Develops and maintains policies, procedures, and protocols related to nurse practitioner practice.
* Participates in continuing education as required to meet state nurse practitioner license requirements.
* Participates actively in quality improvement, pure of view, in-service education, and establish meetings to improve the level of care practiced in the clinic.
* Serves on campus committees as appointed by the medical director.
* May work at Concord satellite clinic providing medical and administrative services. Besides the general nurse practitioner functions outlined above, the nurse practitioner will be performing additional functions at the site including nursing functions (such as nursing intake, vital signs, rooming and preparing the patient, maintaining the facility in a clean and working order, manage inventory, supplies and medication, keeping maintenance logs such as refrigerator temperature), medical records functions (such as pulling and filing paper charts, overseeing the collection of fees, enrolling students in family pact), pharmacy functions (dispensing medication and associated counseling, overseeing the collection of fees), laboratory functions (performing limited and basic CLIA waived and provider performed microscopy, specimen transport back to the Hayward campus, arranging for patient to get lab work done at a Quest site, overseeing the collection of fees). May perform other administrative duties such as disaster and emergency planning, safety, infection control including blood-borne pathogens, sharps and medical waste, quality improvement, equipment maintenance and calibration as needed. Also may participate in promoting health services at the Concord clinic.
Comprehensive knowledge of advanced nursing and primary care principles, methods and procedures; thorough knowledge of medical theories, practices and protocols relative to the scope of practice, subject areas such as growth and development, pathophysiology, psychosocial assessment, pharmacology, nutrition, disease management, and the principles of health maintenance, applicable state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to practice as a Nurse Practitioner; and general knowledge of effective supervisory principles and practices, if assigned lead work direction.
Possess the abilities and clinical competence required to work as a Nurse Practitioner including, but not limited to, the ability to work independently in assigned areas of practice established by the supervising physician; demonstrate clinical competence in eliciting patient histories, conducting examinations, diagnosing and treating acute and chronic illnesses and injuries, assessing patient needs and making appropriate referrals; use clinical techniques and diagnostic tools; interpret laboratory and other test results; keep current with developments in the medical field pertinent to the incumbent's scope of practice; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other health center staff; be sensitive to and communicate effectively with diverse patients; and, if assigned, provide lead work direction to specified health center support staff.
Education and Experience:
Academic degree or certificate from an approved college or university-based Nurse Practitioner program or equivalent training and experience as outlined by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Incumbents must be clinically competent in a medical specialty applicable to their position and possess sufficient experience to independently perform the duties of a Nurse Practitioner within that specialty.
License and Certifications:
Possess and maintain a valid California license as a Registered Nurse and a BRN certificate evidencing that the individual is qualified to use the title of Nurse Practitioner, as required by the California Board of Registered Nursing. In addition, if the incumbent is delegated the authority to furnish medications, the incumbent must possess and maintain a valid BRN Furnishing Certificate. If the furnishing procedures include the delegated authority to furnish specific controlled substances, incumbents must also possess and maintain a valid DEA number and certificate.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled