Recruitment Number VA1313
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 04/14/20. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title DIRECTOR OF ACADEMIC LABOR RELATIONS (Administrator II)
Class Title ADMINISTRATOR II
Salary Range (From $ to $) Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. (Anticipated hiring range: $5,500 - $8,025 per mo).
Department Academic Personnel
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Exempt
Status At Will
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU M80 - Management Personnel Plan
Quick Link http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6134
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under general supervision of the Associate Vice Provost for Academic Personnel, the Director of Academic Personnel Labor Relations will lead the development, implementation, and coordination of labor relations for all faculty, research, graduate, and student assistants (Unit 3 and Unit 11 positions), including applicable discrimination and harassment allegations; implement guidelines and practices to insure the operational needs of the academic department are met; provide high-quality customer service committed to resolving a variety of complex employee and labor relations issues; provide sound and authoritative employee and labor relations advice to campus management as it relates to faculty and academic issues.
This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1313-Position-Description
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of:
• Federal and state labor relations law, including experience with collective bargaining and contract administration.
Working Knowledge of:
• The principles of grievance procedures, negotiation and mediation.
General Knowledge of:
• Principles of supervision and management practices.
• Fluency in the use of standard office equipment (computers, copiers, phones, fax) and computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, and database management.
Must possess the following:
• A history of working in a collaborative and collegial manner.
• Advanced analytical, communication, writing skills, interpersonal, negotiation, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions.
• Sound judgment, initiative and discretion.
• Demonstrates a sensitivity to issues of policy and process.
• Skill to analyze and track data/statistics and prepare reports on information.
• Demonstrated skill at setting priorities and deadlines to ensure project goals and objectives are obtained.
• Demonstrated professionalism.
• A high degree of personal motivation, independent judgment, and persuasiveness.
• Excellent organizational skills.
Must have the ability to:
• Maintain composure and respond pro-actively to issues.
• Handle confidential and sensitive issues with a civil and respectful approach to resolve issues.
• Use tact, diplomacy and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters or materials.
• Research questions/issues of public employment policy and law.
• Analyze labor relations issues accurately and to provide advice in a timely manner.
• Analyze and define problems, draw valid conclusions and project consequences of various alternative courses of action.
• Prepare and present oral and written information and reports which are clear, concise, and comprehensive, expressing ideas clearly, effectively, and persuasively.
• Apply a variety of complex policies and procedures, and identify deviations from applicable policies to carry out responsibilities in accordance with university policies and applicable laws.
• Develop, interpret and implement policies and procedures.
• Understand the roles and responsibilities of others and to gauge relationships accordingly by taking into account the variety of the interrelationships.
• Interact effectively and diplomatically with a variety of constituencies.
• Pro-actively anticipate potential problems/issues and develop strategic solutions to complex problems.
• Establish credibility and rapport quickly.
• Use initiative and resourcefulness.
• Organize resources to achieve goals in a timely manner.
• Adjust to change, demonstrate flexibility and patience with changing expectations (e.g. technology, responsibilities and assignments).
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
Must have the minimum equivalent to a Bachelors Degree in Labor Relations, Employment/Labor Law, HR Management or a related field.
Three to five years of progressive professional experience in employee and/or labor relations, contract and grievance administration. Experience will include a history of working in a collaborative and collegial manner.
• An advanced degree or a Juris Doctorate may substitute for some years of experience.
Additional Requirements for this Position
Attach (in Pdf format) a current writing sample responding to a complaint or related legal/labor relations' issue appropriately redacted to preserve confidentiality. This is a required document that needs to be attached with your resume and cover letter.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• A Master's degree in labor relations/HR management or Juris Doctorate.
• Five to seven years of progressive professional and administrative experience in employee/labor relations.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
• The person holding this position is a "Limited Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
• This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
• The duties of this position will include participation in a decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, this is a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code and the incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. (Group/Category: Labor Relations -Director/Manager (i), 2)
• This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) under the Clery Act and is required to comply with the requirements of this designation.
• A valid California Driver's License must be maintained throughout employment in this position, as well as successful completion and continued compliance with CSU Defensive Driving Course.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events.
Typical office environment operating standard office equipment.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
Detailed information is available at https://www.csuchico.edu/about/. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University's 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment - see http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainability/index.shtml.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 03/10/2020
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled