San Mateo Medical Center is seeking qualified andexperiencedAmbulatory Care Nurses
for its outpatient clinics.
Under direction,Ambulatory Care Nurses
perform professional nursing duties for outpatient clinic patients; treat and educate patients, their families and the public about various medical conditions; record medical histories and symptoms; perform diagnostic tests and analyze results; operate medical machinery; administer treatment and medications; assist with patient follow-up and rehabilitation; and perform other duties as assigned and required by the assigned clinical setting.
This journey level Nurse is fully competent to independently perform a full range of professional nursing duties and procedures that require the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment. Incumbents also provide lead direction to other nursing and paraprofessional personnel. In addition, Ambulatory Care Nurses assigned to community clinics provide preventive care and treat patients with a variety of illnesses and injuries.
is a licensed Registered Nurse with at least one year of health care work experience preferred, ideally as a Registered Nurse (RN); is skilled in case management and triage assessment; knowledgeable in care coordination; experienced in medication reconciliation; has worked with the underserved population and on interdisciplinary teams. Bilingual in Spanish and English is preferred .The ideal candidate is also a critical thinker,fast learner and thrives in a dynamic environment. Computer literacy, prior experience withelectronic medical records (E-Clinical Works preferred) andregistries strongly preferred, as well as flexibility to work nights and weekends.About San Mateo Medical Center
San Mateo Medical Center is part of the County of San Mateo Health System and is located in San Mateo County, California, just south of San Francisco. We have clinics located around the County where we currently have full- and part-time opportunities to be part of a care team providing continuity care. Our clinics are located in San Mateo (Edison Clinic, Innovative Care Clinic, Medical Specialty Clinic, OB/GYN Clinic, and Surgical Specialty Clinic), Redwood City (Fair Oaks Health Center and Sequoia Teen Wellness Center), Daly City (Daly City Health Center and Daly City Youth Health Center), South San Francisco (South San Francisco Health Center), and Half Moon Bay (Coastside Clinic). For more information regarding our clinics and services provided at each location, click here
We anticipate using the list created from this recruitment to fill current and future extra help, limited term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.These positions may be assigned to any of our locations throughout the County.Extra-help
assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment. Term or limited term
positions are at-will positions. Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan. The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies. Unclassified
positions are at-willand render services on a temporary basis for a specified project.Benefits are equal to classified employees in the same job classification, but are not covered by Civil Service Rules. However, the eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
$57.18 - $67.58 Hourly
$4,574.40 - $5,406.40 Biweekly
$9,911.20 - $11,713.87 Monthly
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Complete patient assessments and triage, record patient histories, symptoms and observations.
- Establish and implement nursing care plans for each patient through assessment, development, activation and evaluation.
- Participate in patient case conferences and rounds.
- Organize, assign and supervise duties and responsibilities of other staff members as a team leader; orient and teach new staff members of the nursing team and students.
- Perform nursing care following prescribed rules, policies, protocol and procedures.
- Identify problems, assist in data gathering, propose solutions and participate in evaluation of quality assurance issues.
- Care coordination of patient centered care based on evidenced based guidelines (Patient Centered Medical Home); coordinate based on patients' health care needs and treatment recommendations to establish and maintain a plan of care, jointly created and managed by patients, family, and care team. Participate in educational programs to maintain level of expertise.
- Participate in non-clinical assignments, which may include maintaining records, preparing reports and/or serving on special committees.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a variety of medical machinery and equipment.
- Administer treatment and medications.
- Maintain knowledge of outpatient resources.
- Develop discharge plans for patients.
- Perform related duties as assigned and as required by assigned work setting, as described below.
- Provide preventive care and/or treatment to patients in a community or specialty clinic with a variety of conditions, illnesses and/or injuries.
- Check vital signs, give injections, provide wound care and perform catheterization and Point of Care Testing.
- Ensure patients preference, goals, and experiences are communicated to primary care provider, and working with various specialty disciplines as needed.
- Prepare educational materials, facilitate transitions, connect with community, and align resources with population needs.
- Run immunization clinics, blood drives, and public seminars, as required.
- Manage, monitor and adjust doses based on protocols and physician instructions.
- Perform phlebotomy.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Perform nursing procedures required for assigned clinical setting.
- Comply with clinical procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional nurse-patient relationships.
- Communicate with and educate patients, families, and the public who come from a diverse background.
- Work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Follow safety practices.
- Assist in the instruction of other nursing and paraprofessional personnel.
- Bend, kneel and squat as needed.
- Occasionally use upper extremities to exert force to push and pull patients/objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Work in a busy environment.
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse or equivalent and a valid Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Some positions may require possession of an Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form . The examination will consist ofa scored evaluation of relevant training and experience (weight: 100%) based solely on the responses to the supplemental questions.All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.IMPORTANT
:Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply
' button. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttps://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply.Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.Final Filing Date
: Open until filledAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst:Carolyn Burns (060617) (Ambulatory Care Nurse- F014)